Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #1

Share |

Slab floor leveling.

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/...e/CIMG0002.jpg

This pic shows what happened after slapping on some "sand/topping mix" by quikcrete. It seemed to have shrunk, leaving it unattached, sounding hollow when tapped, and easily snapped around edges. It was fifteen(15) 60lb. bags. Don't want to sledge it all up and start over. Can I pour some floor levelor over it and be done with it? It's 3 1/2 inches thick in the middle and doesn't seem to
want to chip anymore. I spent 75 bucks on the sand mix and looks like i'll need another 100 dollar's worth on floor levelor. I hope it works...could I get some opinions on the durability of this plan? Planning on carpeting and placing a bed on top with bedroom-level foot traffic. Thanks in advance.
Squeakyhinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:29 PM   #2

Slab floor leveling.

For one thing it's only made for a max. of 1/2.
Was there any form of sealer on this floor?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Squeakyhinge (02-18-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 12:20 AM   #3
Disabled wood vet

Slab floor leveling.

If it's that thick it probably needed to be pinned to the original slab, wire mesh and glue.

I would bet no "leveler" could work on an unstable base.

Last edited by titanoman; 02-18-2012 at 12:23 AM.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to titanoman For This Useful Post:
Squeakyhinge (02-18-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #4

Unhappy

Slab floor leveling.

disgusting abuse of procedure, I know. I am willing to pay for my mistakes...if there is nothing else I can do.

No sealer...since more than 1/2 inch, should I use more topper, and with "sealer" this time and then levelor.

Sorry for the blatantly unprofessional conduct. Forever grateful for any further posts if you can stand to even offer advice to such foolish behavior...

If I have to rent a jackhammer, I guess i'll never be so hasty again.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:17 AM   #5

Slab floor leveling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanoman View Post
If it's that thick it probably needed to be pinned to the original slab, wire mesh and glue.

I would bet no "leveler" could work on an unstable base.
It seems that the edges would still crack but the "mesh" would keep it from separating? Is the "glue" a bonder or primer? Does the glue have to be used over new surface?
Old 02-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
Tileguy

Slab floor leveling.

Quote:
For one thing it's only made for a max. of 1/2.
Since when? Sand Topping Mix is made for thicknesses up to 2". Matter of fact anything under 1" requires for it to be bonded to the slab. It can NOT be placed in thin layers such as 1/2" at all.

Cement does not bond well to concrete. Where the thickness gets thinner, it is necessary to "bond" to the slab. Use either a Portland slurry or spread thinset mortar just ahead of placing the "mud".

Sand Topping is 1:3 of Portland and sand. It is what we use to build floor "deck mud" for a shower floor as an example.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-18-2012), Squeakyhinge (02-18-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #7

Slab floor leveling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Since when? Sand Topping Mix is made for thicknesses up to 2". Matter of fact anything under 1" requires for it to be bonded to the slab. It can NOT be placed in thin layers such as 1/2" at all.

Cement does not bond well to concrete. Where the thickness gets thinner, it is necessary to "bond" to the slab. Use either a Portland slurry or spread thinset mortar just ahead of placing the "mud".

Sand Topping is 1:3 of Portland and sand. It is what we use to build floor "deck mud" for a shower floor as an example.

Jaz
Jaz, i think joecaption was referring to floor levelor...

But can you bring me up on a couple things...so do a "scratchcoat" of thinset prior to any more sandtopping? And this will make it bond? And then floor levelor is really just a 1/2" detail?? The stuff is pricey.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:27 AM   #8

Slab floor leveling.

I may have been talking about the wrong product, I was looking at this one. Sorry.
http://www.sakrete.com/uploads/downl...ata%204-10.pdf
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #9

Slab floor leveling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I may have been talking about the wrong product, I was looking at this one. Sorry.
http://www.sakrete.com/uploads/downl...ata%204-10.pdf
Funny how it says:"A polymer modified sand cement repair mortar requiring only the
addition of clean water. For resurfacing, patching and general repairs
to concrete", and Jaz said, and I've heard too, that cement doesn't bond well to concrete...

Thats my first question about this product.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:43 AM   #10
Tileguy

Slab floor leveling.

That product is completely different from the Sand Topping Mix. For thin repairs down to feather edge a latex/polymer modified product allows for good bonding and feathering. Sometimes the use of both types of products is indicated.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
Old 02-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #11

Slab floor leveling.

Quote:
That product is completely different from the Sand Topping Mix. For thin repairs down to feather edge a latex/polymer modified product allows for good bonding and feathering. Sometimes the use of both types of products is indicated.

Jaz
So Jaz, to conclude, hopefully....

Use a Portland slurry or Thinset mortar to help the Sakrete Top n Bond to adhere to the slab? Or it sounds like the Top n Bond might be good alone?
Old 02-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #12
Tileguy

Slab floor leveling.

No. You do not need to do anything special to bond patching products to a slab, (other than follow the directions on the bag). The slurry or thinset is to bond "deck mud" to a slab.

Matter of fact I doubt Joe was recommending Top 'N Bond in your case. Looks to me like that would be OK for small repairs. Might not be so good for larger areas, plus you might have to get a 2nd mortgage to pay for it.

Tell us how large an area and how thick again, in detail.

Jaz

Old 02-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #13

Slab floor leveling.

Quote:
No. You do not need to do anything special to bond patching products to a slab, (other than follow the directions on the bag). The slurry or thinset is to bond "deck mud" to a slab.

Matter of fact I doubt Joe was recommending Top 'N Bond in your case. Looks to me like that would be OK for small repairs. Might not be so good for larger areas, plus you might have to get a 2nd mortgage to pay for it.

Tell us how large an area and how thick again, in detail.

Jaz
Basically feathering from 1 1/2" thickness to zero which spans or pitches about 2 feet.

What is a suitable patching product?
Old 02-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #14
Tileguy

Slab floor leveling.

I still don't know how large the area is to have an idea on how much of the expensive stuff you'll need. There are products that can be poured 1" per pour, maybe some that go thicker too. Not knowing what brands are available to you and what experience you have, I'd check around, then research data sheets.

I might be tempted to use Sand Topping as the main base, (cheap), then do back with self leveling for the finishing touch. If level wasn't important, patching products are fine.

Jaz

Old 02-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #15

Slab floor leveling.

Quote:
I still don't know how large the area is to have an idea on how much of the expensive stuff you'll need. There are products that can be poured 1" per pour, maybe some that go thicker too. Not knowing what brands are available to you and what experience you have, I'd check around, then research data sheets.

I might be tempted to use Sand Topping as the main base, (cheap), then do back with self leveling for the finishing touch. If level wasn't important, patching products are fine.

Jaz
I used sand topping and it lifted and stepping on it made it snap off easily...like walkindlg on big potato chips for lack of a better description.

It looks like I will need about 3 60 lb bags to feather the edge of the whole floor patch. A 40 lb bag of quikrete resurfacer is 20 bucks so that's another 90 bucks plus 30 to 60 bucks for floor levelor if I want a really nice finish.

Laticrete 86 Latilevel will feather and go to 1 1/2"... I found no "resurfacer" by Quikrete at home depot that will go beyond 1/4" and feather....

Is any one aware of a cheaper way to go? Or how much Laticrete goes for?