Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2008, 10:19 AM   #1
frozen peas & toothpicks

Share |

Shower Tile & Grout

I don't see a dedicated Tiling thread so I figured I'd post here. sorry if it's misplaced.

I have a 1 yr old tiled shower, floor to ceiling (no tub). I first noticed a hairline crack running 2/3's down the corner seam, starting at the ceiling. Being so high, I'm not as worried about it and figured it's inevitable with the house still settling and being an exterior wall (w/ greater cold/hot contractions than an interior bathroom). But now the floor grout (at the wall seam) is flat out failing and coming off in 1/4" to 1" long pieces.

The only good news is that it's on the 1st floor and any seep has nothing but raised subfloor and then crawlspace underneath.

couple of ?'s

is this an overall bad grout job, or two individual cases w/ water/moisture/soap damage at the floor that has run down the tiled wall?

Also, what's best to repair it. I've done 12-square floor tile before and used a Rotozip to take out old grout, replace tile and then regrout (against a new door threshold)...but nothing moisture based.
I'm sure I'll need a corner attachment to clean out the old grout, and I'm guessing a special type of grout for bathroom (moisture) tiling? Please advise.

To what extent might I currently be getting water seepage and potential damage (mold risk?) under the existing shower tile, tileset and backerboarding? How long can I wait to fix this since it's a daily use shower (although I feel this is a dumb question....ASAP right??)

also can I 'protect' the finished grout with a clear silicon caulk or something at these seams?

One last off-note question, are there different types of tyle/grout "safe" bath soaps that are better than others...my thought being, could a a high-perfumed soap like Dove do more damage than something more basic? That goes for bathroom tile cleaners too?

Also, I'm not above hiring a tradesman, since I'm currently focused on 'spot' fixing. This could be a bigger overhaul since I could be seeing just the first of problem.

Thank you very much in advance.

dchaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:15 PM   #2
Tileguy

Shower Tile & Grout

We are constantly preaching that any change-in-plane should be caulked and not grouted. Unfortunately not many tileguys go to church these days.

Corners should be caulked, floor/wall juncture should be caulked, wall/ceiling juncture should be caulked. Caulk offers a lot more flexibility than grout. This isn't to say that even caulk will never have to be replaced from time to time.

I would worry more about the upper crack than the one at the bottom for now. You could remove all of the corner grout and caulk everything. Colored caulks are available to match grout colors.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:36 AM   #3
frozen peas & toothpicks

Shower Tile & Grout

That's huge advice, thank you!
Any special type to use?

In other areas of the shower (where the door framing meets tile) there's a clear caulking.
Any professional advice for application?
(route out grout, clean tile surface, etc??)
Old 04-21-2008, 05:53 PM   #4
Tileguy

Shower Tile & Grout

Quote:
In other areas of the shower (where the door framing meets tile) there's a clear caulking.

Any professional advice for application?
Any professional advice for application of what?

If the caulk at the door ain't broke, don't fix it! If you want it to match the rest of the new caulk cut it out and replace it with new.

Home centers sell some of the grout-matching caulks but you can order it from any "real tile store" in any color you want.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:49 AM   #5
frozen peas & toothpicks

Shower Tile & Grout

they were meant to be two separate statements.

the first, just observation that they used clear caulking around the metal framing...but there's nothing wrong with it.

the second, a question about application of caulking where the current grout is failing (where different plames meet). Just asking if there is any advice that I can't get from reading the caulking application instructions.

From both posts, it sounds like the way to go is a grout color-matching caulking. In truth, i don't care if the new caulk matches the existing door clear caulking, or if the new caulking matches the grout it's replacing. It's a private shower, I just want the seams to be sealed.

Thanks for more guidance. This site is incredible.

Last edited by dchaban; 04-22-2008 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:19 PM   #6
Tileguy

Shower Tile & Grout

In that case......

Remove all of the existing grout in the corner joints and relace it with any tub & tile or kitchen & bath caulk you might fond in the hardware store.