Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2010, 10:26 AM   #1

Share |

Shower pan advice?

Looking for some guidance.....I have done virtually every type of repair and remodeling work to date but have never messed with a shower pan made from mortar, liner, etc. I am helping a friend who is not handy at all. The scenario is, they recently had someone completely redo the shower stall from the subfloor up. The tiling job on the walls is average at best. The floor was a disaster. It was obviously not sloped properly as there is a low stop in one corner where water stands. The slope was uneven to the point that some places appeared to not have enough room for grout in between tiles because the tiles were sort of pinched. Not surprisingly after a very short time the 2" floor tiles started coming loose aroung the drain. I removed all of the tile yesterday quite easily and the little bit of thinset that was under them was not hard but rather gummy instead. We are left with a motar bed (I think) of very smooth light grey material that is uneven in slope and not uniform around the drain.

My question is - should we just remove the entire bed/liner,etc and just start over or is there a way to remove material around the drain raise it up, take out the bottom row of wall tile and add another layer of mortar from the walls to drain with the proper slope?
ptraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
Doer of Many Things

Shower pan advice?

If it's a standard sized shower, rip it up and use a Kerdi tray instead. It'll be a lot easier for you. It's already sloped for you. I'd rip this up regardless. If they've done this bad of a job that you can see, it's hard to tell what they've done or not done that you can't see. If they have the proper membranes behind the walls you can rip out the bottom row and floor, install a Kerdi shower pan, and Kerdi/Kerdi Band it into the existing walls.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:53 AM   #3

Shower pan advice?

It is not a standard sized shower. But I am leaning towards using the Kerdi product if we tear it all out. My gut was telling me that's the right thing to do. Just wondered if there was a quicker fix. Thanks for your input.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
Tileguy

Shower pan advice?

You probably should just start over. Several reasons are obvious to you, the floor or course is all wrong. But it is also very likely that the handyman that did this probably did other things wrong too.

Example: You said the floor tiles came up easily and the thin set "was not hard but rather gummy instead." This tells me that adhesive you saw is not thin set mortar. I'll bet it is either mastic or what is know as "Pre-Mixed Thin Set Mortar". Of course that can not be true. Here's what I mean.

By definition thin set MUST be made using Portland Cement. Portland Cement can not be mixed and stored in a container for later use. What the manufacturer's are actually selling is mastic with a little sand added to make it look more like the real thing. When this product is used is wet areas it re-emulsifies and gets soft again. I'll bet he used the same inferior product on the walls too.

I also doubt the shower is waterproof correctly. Too detailed to go into it now, but it sounds like the guy is a hack, so start over.

Let us know what you decide to do, we should be able to direct you to the correct steps to take.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:37 PM   #5

Shower pan advice?

As expected, there was not much that was done right by the person who installed the shower pan. We removed the mortar bed and found the liner was sitting on the subfloor (no sloped bed under it). The homeowner doesn't want to spend the money on the Kerdi membrane and drain so we will redo it the old fashioned way. One quick question that I am still not clear on after reading lots of posts and different "how to" web sites. Are both the sloped bed and mortar bed that is installed on top of the liner made from the same material? Is that mortar made by just mixing the multi purpopse sand I saw at home depot with portland cement? We're hoping to get the first layer down tomorrow.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:46 PM   #6

Shower pan advice?

they make a shower pan mud set that comes in bags specific to what you are doing. lowes did carry it
Old 03-06-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
DIY staff

Shower pan advice?

Shower Construction Info (a collection of posts) - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Here you will find directions on mixing and using 'dry pack'--'deck mud'--fat mud----Mike--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
ptraz (03-06-2010)