Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2009, 06:51 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 489
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Shower leaking need to re tile


Again, the leak could be up much higher and running down the walls behind the shower pan. There could also be a small perforation in the liner. My guess is that all you have is a pan and no liner on the walls.

__________________
Josh Jaros Remodeling in The Woodlands, Texas www.jarosbros.com
jaros bros. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:16 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 284
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Shower leaking need to re tile


Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros bros. View Post
Again, the leak could be up much higher and running down the walls behind the shower pan. There could also be a small perforation in the liner. My guess is that all you have is a pan and no liner on the walls.
Only gets worse.... the liner is only 4" up... how far should i go when i re-do

several 2x4's were water logged, and there is a boat load of mold... especially under the tile in seat it was gooey white mixed with mold almost like sheetrock mud.

Any good articles on building up my shower floor? Why 2 different mortars?

Thanks
Ineedhelp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:42 PM   #18
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,243
Rewards Points: 2,136
Default

Shower leaking need to re tile


The new liner should rise a minimum of three inches above the top of the dam.

The "gooey" could be mastic tile-adhesive which shouldn't be there at all.

We can furnish you with a good diagram of how it should bone. First get all the old out so things can begin to dry and you can do a further inspection.

I would also suggest you douse the entire structure that has been wet and moldy with a product called Microban.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:15 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 284
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Shower leaking need to re tile


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
The new liner should rise a minimum of three inches above the top of the dam.

The "gooey" could be mastic tile-adhesive which shouldn't be there at all.

We can furnish you with a good diagram of how it should bone. First get all the old out so things can begin to dry and you can do a further inspection.

I would also suggest you douse the entire structure that has been wet and moldy with a product called Microban.
So the liner was done properly the first time?see pic? After tearing the whole seat down. There was TWO layers of tile on the top. Wonder if previous owner tried to bandaid a leak....The seat had the most mold on it.

Will continue to tear down and break away 1' up the wall update with pictures and get suggestions... Thanks

This is a first time for me ..





Last edited by Ineedhelp2009; 07-20-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Ineedhelp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:54 PM   #20
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,243
Rewards Points: 2,136
Default

Shower leaking need to re tile


Quote:
So the liner was done properly the first time?
As far as the height requirement, maybe. But, how were the corners done? Where were all the nails placed? How was the liner clamped to the floor drain?
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:56 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 284
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Shower leaking need to re tile


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
As far as the height requirement, maybe. But, how were the corners done? Where were all the nails placed? How was the liner clamped to the floor drain?
will take notes when removing floor... thanks again
Ineedhelp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:57 AM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 489
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Shower leaking need to re tile


Do you understand that water transfers through grout and cement board? Do you know that if you don't have a membrane on the walls that moisture will get to them. The liner protects the floor and the membrane protects the walls. Does that make sense?
__________________
Josh Jaros Remodeling in The Woodlands, Texas www.jarosbros.com
jaros bros. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:40 PM   #23
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Riverside CA
Posts: 25
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Shower leaking need to re tile


Don't you hate how when you expect a repair to be a small project then it transforms into a larger project, it never fails.
cochise7969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:01 AM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 284
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Shower leaking need to re tile


Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros bros. View Post
Do you understand that water transfers through grout and cement board? Do you know that if you don't have a membrane on the walls that moisture will get to them. The liner protects the floor and the membrane protects the walls. Does that make sense?
yea understanding now! I work in an office bare with me

Last edited by Ineedhelp2009; 07-22-2009 at 06:08 AM.
Ineedhelp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:04 AM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 284
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Shower leaking need to re tile


Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros bros. View Post
Do you understand that water transfers through grout and cement board? Do you know that if you don't have a membrane on the walls that moisture will get to them. The liner protects the floor and the membrane protects the walls. Does that make sense?

Would you suggest a tile redi pan or liner?
Ineedhelp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:07 AM   #26
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 284
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Shower leaking need to re tile


Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros bros. View Post
Do you understand that water transfers through grout and cement board? Do you know that if you don't have a membrane on the walls that moisture will get to them. The liner protects the floor and the membrane protects the walls. Does that make sense?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise7969 View Post
Don't you hate how when you expect a repair to be a small project then it transforms into a larger project, it never fails.

Yep, bought this house last year. Got a really good deal since it was a foreclosure. 2nd major problem in 1 year!
Ineedhelp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:09 AM   #27
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 489
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Shower leaking need to re tile


I think you really need to do some research. I would recommend looking up the kerdi ditra website and reading about the products they offer.

The membrane can have no penetrations and the reason for the cement board is that it doesn't mold and offers a solid tile substrate.

You might need a professional because there's a bit of a learning curve.
__________________
Josh Jaros Remodeling in The Woodlands, Texas www.jarosbros.com
jaros bros. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:48 AM   #28
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 284
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Shower leaking need to re tile


Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros bros. View Post
I think you really need to do some research. I would recommend looking up the kerdi ditra website and reading about the products they offer.

The membrane can have no penetrations and the reason for the cement board is that it doesn't mold and offers a solid tile substrate.

You might need a professional because there's a bit of a learning curve.
Looking at site now thanks......Thanks for the info...
i would love to hire a professional....... just got jet skis 3 weeks ago and blew money fixing them up.......Don't have enough.....I was told this would be a 4K plus to hire someone.
I seen your site, nice work... what would you say a ball park figure is for this project if I hired someone?

Hopefully can take it slow and do it right.....or should i suck it up and put on credit card

Last edited by Ineedhelp2009; 07-24-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Ineedhelp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:56 AM   #29
Chicago, IL
 
Michael Thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,037
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Shower leaking need to re tile


Can't tell from your picture, but here in Chicago when tracking down the causes of shower leakage it's not unusual to discover that liners have been installed directly on the subflooring without the required mortar pre-slope.
__________________
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:30 AM   #30
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 284
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Shower leaking need to re tile


Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
Can't tell from your picture, but here in Chicago when tracking down the causes of shower leakage it's not unusual to discover that liners have been installed directly on the subflooring without the required mortar pre-slope.
You know this is the same-- wood then liner

Ineedhelp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tile man used mastic glue on entrance to shower keyesww Tiling, ceramics, marble 13 06-08-2010 04:39 PM
water leak on tile shower floor redskins Plumbing 1 07-18-2009 05:58 AM
Shower tile specifics re: hair coloring Pammylu Tiling, ceramics, marble 4 06-05-2009 02:32 PM
Turning a tile shower into a one piece shower... chimera Remodeling 12 03-14-2009 02:30 PM
Honey, I'm going to re-caulk the shower... homebound Remodeling 1 02-10-2009 09:11 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.