Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2009, 06:38 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 284
Share |
Default

Shower leaking need to re tile


My tile floor in shower is leaking through to crawlspace. Also about 1' into flooring outisde shower is leaking and the grout is all broken up. Just noticed since I moved the rug.
THere is black fury mold on the plywood that is outside the shower. Will replace that so all that tile in that area will come up but....

I went to HD looking for the tile the guy said discotinued years ago! how would you approach the flooring.

Ineedhelp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:05 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 489
Default

Shower leaking need to re tile


Replacing the tile is not going to fix your problem. You need to gut it and install a shower pan and liner and then reinstall new tile. I assume you know this already and are working in that direction.

Trying to match the existing tile is probably not going to happen, especially since it was discontinued. Tiles has batch numbers and the tile can even vary enough batch to batch to not match.

__________________
Josh Jaros Remodeling in The Woodlands, Texas www.jarosbros.com
jaros bros. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 284
Default

Shower leaking need to re tile


Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros bros. View Post
Replacing the tile is not going to fix your problem. You need to gut it and install a shower pan and liner and then reinstall new tile. I assume you know this already and are working in that direction.

Trying to match the existing tile is probably not going to happen, especially since it was discontinued. Tiles has batch numbers and the tile can even vary enough batch to batch to not match.

Thanks for the input let me ask.... I started removing the grout today along the outer edge inside the shower. Once i was actually that close, now i see the grout is all cracked up. The plywood beneath the shower is fine. ONly moldy outside the shower.....

What started this I jacked my house up about 4 months ago. THe grout just cracked in the corners and some sides ( I think this is what caused it... has not leaked previous 7 years) I am wondering if i can just get away with replacing tile/plywood outside of the shower and just re grouting the whole shower? What do you think?
Ineedhelp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 489
Default

Shower leaking need to re tile


A shower should never rely upon the grout or tile to mitigate the spread of moisture. That's the job of a membrane and shower pan. Moisture will travel right through the grout and continue to do damage.
__________________
Josh Jaros Remodeling in The Woodlands, Texas www.jarosbros.com
jaros bros. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:55 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 284
Default

Shower leaking need to re tile


Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros bros. View Post
A shower should never rely upon the grout or tile to mitigate the spread of moisture. That's the job of a membrane and shower pan. Moisture will travel right through the grout and continue to do damage.
Gotcha... I knew that air hammer i bought 5 years ago would come in handy

I will do that, now why would it all the sudden give? Normal?
Ineedhelp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:24 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 284
Default

Shower leaking need to re tile


look bad?

I think will also tear a foot or so up....








Ineedhelp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:53 PM   #7
Nia
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 47
Default

Shower leaking need to re tile


I would definitely install a shower pan liner to protect against moisture and mildew. As far as the tile goes, you can buy some mosaic tile for the bottom to compliment what your have if you don't want to change all the tiles.
Nia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:14 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 489
Default

Shower leaking need to re tile


It was probably never done right from the beginning. It sometimes will hold up for a few years, all the while the plywood, studs, and insulation were getting damp. After several years of this it just disintegrates. You are sure to find some surprises after you open things up.

Don't just do the floor, the walls need to have a membrane on them as well. In fact, some of the moisture might be coming from the walls as well. The only real expense is going to be your labor as the materials will be fairly inexpensive for that small shower.
__________________
Josh Jaros Remodeling in The Woodlands, Texas www.jarosbros.com
jaros bros. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:38 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 284
Default

Shower leaking need to re tile


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nia View Post
I would definitely install a shower pan liner to protect against moisture and mildew. As far as the tile goes, you can buy some mosaic tile for the bottom to compliment what your have if you don't want to change all the tiles.

liner doing.... for sure

well the floor in shower i am fine with changing... but it's the floor right outside the shower that i am worred about.... the wood beneath has to come out.... all the walls are different tile which i cannot find.

will take another picture maybe get some tile suggestions

Last edited by Ineedhelp2009; 07-19-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Ineedhelp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:42 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 284
Default

Shower leaking need to re tile


Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros bros. View Post
It was probably never done right from the beginning. It sometimes will hold up for a few years, all the while the plywood, studs, and insulation were getting damp. After several years of this it just disintegrates. You are sure to find some surprises after you open things up.

Don't just do the floor, the walls need to have a membrane on them as well. In fact, some of the moisture might be coming from the walls as well. The only real expense is going to be your labor as the materials will be fairly inexpensive for that small shower.

Agreed with not doing right....i pulled cover off temp guage and the gfi is right next to all the water lines....... water runs/drips down the electrical wires

9' ceilings how far up? Also to the right of my foot is a seat about 1.5' deep tear it out?
Ineedhelp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:55 PM   #11
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,649
Default

Shower leaking need to re tile


That shower has been leaking since day-one. Wait till you see what it looks like under the shower floor.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:56 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 284
Default

Shower leaking need to re tile


3 different tiles in bath and all 3 seem to be disco... SEE the 6 -12x12's in front of shower.. that plywood below is rotten... how would you handle that tile? the I found alot of 1/3's of the tile that goes on the floor....but cannot really figure a design to go with bath

Ineedhelp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:57 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 284
Default

Shower leaking need to re tile


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedhelp2009 View Post
liner doing.... for sure

well the floor in shower i am fine with changing... but it's the floor right outside the shower that i am worred about.... the wood beneath has to come out.... all the walls are different tile which i cannot find.

will take another picture maybe get some tile suggestions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
That shower has been leaking since day-one. Wait till you see what it looks like under the shower floor.
bet your right....joy!
Ineedhelp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:31 AM   #14
Nia
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 47
Default

Shower leaking need to re tile


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedhelp2009 View Post
liner doing.... for sure

well the floor in shower i am fine with changing... but it's the floor right outside the shower that i am worred about.... the wood beneath has to come out.... all the walls are different tile which i cannot find.
I think you should take up the floor, tear out the shower and start over. That way you know it's done right versus trying to patch here and there. Remove the floor, install new plywood where needed, add hardibacker and then install your floor. I would also use hardibacker in the shower area too.

Like OP already mentioned the materials are not expensive and its worth your time to correct the problems now and you won't have to worry about tearing something up again because your still having leaks. You'll also have an updated look for your bathroom with matching tiles.
Nia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:47 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 284
Default

Shower leaking need to re tile


well just started on the shower floor. There is about 3/4" white mortar... then about 1.5" brown cement type material then THERE IS A LINER....

Seems to be done right.....what do you think?




Ineedhelp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tile man used mastic glue on entrance to shower keyesww Tiling, ceramics, marble 13 06-08-2010 04:39 PM
water leak on tile shower floor redskins Plumbing 1 07-18-2009 05:58 AM
Shower tile specifics re: hair coloring Pammylu Tiling, ceramics, marble 4 06-05-2009 02:32 PM
Turning a tile shower into a one piece shower... chimera Remodeling 12 03-14-2009 02:30 PM
Honey, I'm going to re-caulk the shower... homebound Remodeling 1 02-10-2009 09:11 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.