Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #1

Share |

shower floor w/granite walls .... granite is still absorbing moisture even with sealing????

I have installed a granite shower (beige color) w/ceramic floor. I have experienced darkening of the granite walls due to absorption of water. I have sealed w/an expensive sealer but to no avail. It still absorbs water from the grout floor into the granite wall. There is no leakage below in the basement since I have an open ceiling below and can observe any leakage. WHat do you recommend I do? I really don't want to tear it out but if I must ....

climbing54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
long island, NY

shower floor w/granite walls .... granite is still absorbing moisture even with sealing????

not a pro... but my guess is that the the granite tiles may be absorbing water from their edges (inset in grout) that presumably are unsealed?

diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #3

I never worked with granite for showers but I think what is happening is your seam from the granite to ceramic tile is grouted not silicone
Therefore granite won't take to grout hence the moisture or water getting in there clean the seams out and silicone it the color to match either floor or wall. Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone 4 ios5
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:29 AM   #4

I will try both recommendations. I thank you for your time and thought. Any more suggestions would be great. It will be less expensive and a lot less work so it would be best to start here. Hope this works ...... stay tuned.
climbing54 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to climbing54 For This Useful Post:
JetSwet (02-26-2012)
Old 03-31-2012, 06:06 PM   #5

I do'tthink it will hurt it at all. Granite is just porous. Maybe seal it a few times, but if it is not leaking it should be ok.
RhodesHardwood is offline   Reply With Quote