Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #1

Share |

Shower floor: Use ceramic tile or fiberglass base?

I would like to get some feedback on the pros and cons of using ceramic tile versus a fiberglass pan for the floor base in a shower remodel. The walls will be tile. Neither my wife nor I desire to have the tile on the floor but we are told it would look nicer so that has gotten us to reconsider. My initial thought is that the grout will get stained or moldy after a few years and be harder to clean versus the fiberglass base. Tile would obviously cost more too.

Eagle One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
Tileguy

Shower floor: Use ceramic tile or fiberglass base?

Tile would be far and away the best for appearance and value. But it needs to be done right. Well, that's obvious I suppose. That pretty much goes for anything. We can answer any questions about how a shower is built when you think of some.

A molded fiberglass is cheaper and cheapens the job. But some people don't mind. I've found that most will begin to yellow and are difficult to clean after several year.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote