Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2009, 11:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Shower floor tile goofup. Advice?

I'm tiling a shower floor and am such a novice. Used mastic (sp?) purchased for back splash in kitchen. Trip to the tile store (yet another) and my sales guy tells me it's the wrong adhesive. Shoulda used thinset. OK, now what do I do? It's on a concrete base, by the way. Two inch tiles. He suggested leaving it and "see how it goes." Help!

tarheeltiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,088

Hi,

Yes you goofed up alright! Take it all up clean the floor and make sure you get all the mastic up, then start over.

Are you also tiling the walls? How were they built? Do you have a shower membrane under there and up the walls? Got a curb? How is that done?

Sorry, but I'm thinking that if you didn't know about not using mastic you may not know how to build a shower too.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
Oldguy

Rewards Points: 250

The premix thinset MUST come up. Don't make matters worse by leaving it and 'see what happens'

ASE certified master auto tech, Retired.
Rehabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:28 PM   #4

I had a feeling it had to come up. Any tips for removing mastic? As to shower construction, 2x4 wall studs, insulated, covered by concrete backer board. Used 80 mm liner over plywood floor, sloped to drain, with about 6+ inches extending up behind backer board. Poured shower floor with cement stuff recommended by tile shop, with slope to drain. Curb is 2x4s, covered with concrete backer board, with liner extending up behind board and over top of curb. Again, thanks for your help.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:23 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,088

Hot water should soften the mastic? I've never had to do what you're gonna do

So, for the floor you have.....80 mil liner on the plywood? Wow, where did you find that? Shower pan liners are 40 mils thick. Did you do a pre-slope under the liner? The liner is attached to the special shower drain right? Did you silicone the bottom of the drain, (underside of liner?) The liner goes up the walls and up and over the curb? No fasteners into the backer board until a few inches above the height of the curb? You fastened the board to the curb, you will need to fix that. The liner now has holes and is not waterproof.

You then placed the deck mud on the liner, did you protect the weep holes of the drain from clogging by the deck mud? Got a nice gradual slope? What mud mix did you use? I am sure they gave you sand-mix which is fine. Was it fun?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:42 AM   #6

Uh, no, fun is not the word I'd've used. . . . but other than the backer board on the curb thing, I did pretty well, and I did seal over the nail holes w/silicone and holes were up as high as I could get 'em. Unless the thing floods, I think it'll be ok. Thanks for the tip on the hot water. I'll try it.