Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #1

Share |

Should I put the same hardwood in all the rooms?

I am going to replace all the carpeting of my house with hardwood, and I am wondering if it would make sense to use the same wood in all the rooms (except the kitchen and the bathroom, of course). Until a few days ago, I was planning to use one species (walnut) in some rooms and another species (light cherry) in the other rooms, in accordance with the style of each room (furniture, wall paint color, etc.). However, a friend of mine suggests that when it comes to selling the house, having different flooring in different rooms is going to be an issue because many people don't like it. Does anybody here have an opinion on this?

Last edited by alessandrot; 06-08-2012 at 08:18 PM. Reason: spelling
alessandrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #2

your friend is correct. It will look much better. Future buyers will notice and it may cost you then

creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to creeper For This Useful Post:
alessandrot (06-08-2012)
Old 06-09-2012, 05:08 AM   #3

What's wrong with putting it in the "kitchen and bathroom"?? I've installed it in all my homes and never had a problem. It finishes off the rooms nicely as it flows from room to room. If you are going to change colors or textures, do it on a different level, but the entire floor should be done the same
Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #4

I went with all RED OAK through-out our house, but added some inlay to set off the rooms

in the dining room the inlay borders the dining room table nicely

I would keep it all the same species and maybe add some highlighting detail
What have I done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
What's wrong with putting it in the "kitchen and bathroom"?? I've installed it in all my homes and never had a problem. It finishes off the rooms nicely as it flows from room to room. If you are going to change colors or textures, do it on a different level, but the entire floor should be done the same
The vendor I got the hardwood from recommends not to install solid hardwood in a bathroom that is showered in every day. My bathroom does not have a window (only a vent) and becomes very wet when we use the shower.

Last edited by alessandrot; 06-10-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #6

Yes this is very good to put hardwood flooring in all the room but you should also try some different flooring like Santos Mahogany Flooring.
mrgfjaved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #7

I would say it depends.. If you have a huge house, I can understand using different wood in different areas of the house. However, for most houses, I'd say sticking with one type of wood on a floor is the way to go, especially in smaller houses. We just used red oak throughout our townhouse, and I think it'd make the place look a lot smaller/not as nice imo.
NewHomeDIYGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko View Post

The kitchen isn't so much a problem, as the bathroom. Especially if the bathroom has a tub or shower. Eventually, water will make its way onto the floor, from those departing the shower. Now, the finished surface isn't so much a problem, as it will repell the water. However, over time, water will make its way between planks and cause it to deteriorate.

Even then, I hope you never have a toilet backup. It sure would be tough to get the water out that makes its way under the flooring.

Last edited by Seattle2k; 06-11-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #9

Thanks everyone. I am now leaning towards putting the same solid hardwood (American walnut) in all the rooms except the kitchen and the bathrooms, for which I do prefer tiles.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #10

I would go with th same flooring throughout too. I was just at an estimate Friday where I met with a realtor and homeowner. The homeowner had their home for sale and the realtor was saying that all the feedback that they were getting was regarding the floors being 3 different types. They were all really nice; 2 shades of wide plank bamboo, and cherry wood flooring, but it looked odd.
RhodesHardwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:47 AM   #11

I guess i am a little different (maybe a lot different). I am a wood flooring guy and I like to do anything different. I do a lot of red oak flooring but i like to change things up when I can. i can see where it could hurt your resale though. I would caution you with American Walnut for the floor. It is relatively soft and might wear a little quicker than some species. If you choose to use it, make sure it is sanded really smooth and put a commercial grade finish on it.
farmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #12

I would say it depends on the size and layout of the house. The main part of our house is an expresso bamboo. The master bedroom is done in Santos Mahogany. We went more modern for most of the house with the expresso bamboo, and the kitchen has expresso cabinets. We wanted the master suite to feel warmer so we did the mahogany, and the cabinets in the master bath are mahogany as well.
But, to get to our master bedroom you walk through the kitchen and den which have a neutral beige tile, so the different woods are broken up by 30 feet of tile. You can't see both woods at the same time. I like that the master suite has a different feel, but it is also pretty separate from the rest of the house.

I don't think transitioning from one wood to another right next to each other would look as good. If your spaces are more broken up it can work.
cube17576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #13

Hi farmall

Thanks for the advice. I am using prefinished Bellawood, solid 3/4" x 4".

Yes, the vendor told me it's soft. My wife is a little worried...

Last edited by alessandrot; 06-13-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #14

re-posted as a new topic

Last edited by alessandrot; 06-14-2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: re-posted as a new topic