Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2008, 06:03 PM   #1

Share |

Shoe Moulding?

I've been shopping for laminate to install myself. I assumed I would get shoe moulding that matched, but a local store is recommending paint grade, painted to match the baseboard.

What do you normally use? One concern that I do have with the matching shoe, is that it all appears to be MDF with a cheap vinyl 'contact paper' applied (I could peel it off the back side with my finger nail). Does that hold up to brooms and vacuums etc. banging into it?

Thanks...

Gary

Last edited by garyoutwest; 09-17-2008 at 06:18 PM.
garyoutwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #2

Shoe Moulding?

I bought the white plastic/composite shoe from HD and painted it white to match baseboard. Looks good against the new hardwood floor. Make sure you paint it first before installing unless you've a very steady hand or a lot of masking tape.

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:53 PM   #3

Shoe Moulding?

If you have painted base, painted shoe is the way to go. Looks much better that way.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:20 AM   #4
ngs

Shoe Moulding?

The shoe, or quarter round if you use that, is part of the base board system, not part of the floor system. Think if you had, say, a green painted floor and white baseboard, you would probably not think of doing the shoe in green. Prime first, then one coat of finish paint, then install, then fill nail holes and caulk (top of shoe only, not to the floor, the crack between wood floor and colored base in natural looking and not noticeable) then one light 2nd coat to cover caulk and nails, beeeaautiful!
ngs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:03 PM   #5
Drywall contractor

Shoe Moulding?

Agree with all of the above, especially using composite (plastic) for tiled areas that get exposed to moisture on a regular basis from mopping. When I pulled up the original stuff in my kitchen for a new floor, there were pieces that were close to falling apart.