Shine Coming Off Of Ceramic Tile...can Scrape It With My Fingernail - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

shine coming off of ceramic tile...can scrape it with my fingernail

Hi all,

We recently bought a lovely home with ceramic (I'm assuming ceramic...I don't really know the difference between ceramic and porcelain) tile in the kitchen, bathrooms, and several other areas of the home.

The tile looked great when we moved in, and for the first month, it barely needed any cleaning. Grout also looked great.

I made the mistake of using a Magic Eraser to clean the kitchen tile. I had to use one in our old home to get the tile clean, so it was just a habit.

Since then, the shine has come off a great deal. If I look closely in natural lighting, I can actually see that the shine looks worn down, and if I take my fingernail to a shinier spot, I can actually scrape off the shine. There is a whitish residue left on my fingernail.

i'd like to restore the shine, because the floors need MUCH more frequent cleaning without it. The grout is also looking a bit tired and I'm afraid of ruining it as well.

Can anyone tell me how to approach this problem? What is the shine that is coming off? Is it possible that the previous owners sealed it and the seal is coming off? Or perhaps it is some sort of wax? The floors were not glossy before this. Just had a nice sheen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ourgoodhouse

Advertisement

ourgoodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #2

I'd also like to add that there are two spots where I can see a faint shoe mark (with tread) of the shininess, so it seems almost certain to me that something was applied to the flooring and the shoe mark was made during application.

Thanks

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

ive seen ceramic tile that was painted. is that what you scraped off?
mazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #4

the color and appearance of the tile remains the same except for the shine. It is a barely noticeable difference. What I scraped off was clear/whitish.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,238

Someone applied a wax or dressing to the ceramic tiles. Now you know it doesn't work. A wax stripper should remove it.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote