Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #1

Share |
Question

sheetmetal underlayment for radiators

i have five radiators that i just had stripped and repainted in different colors -- the look beautiful. i'm also doing flooring renovation, from the subfloor up.

what i want to do is box the radiator floor area with a rectangle of sheetmetal, primarily for the looks but also because i want their flooring finish to be separate from the rest (hardwood and carpet) so that the rest of flooring can be done later (i need heat now) or simply more compactly changed in the future (be modular that is).

i went to a sheet metal place today and the only types i really liked were stainless steel and aluminum. the SS was really expensive, $211 for a 22 gauge 4x8 sheet. the aluminum, which looks identical, minus the higher probability for potential scratches cause it is softer, was $100 for 0.063 (comparable thickness to 22 gauge). i plan to set a 1/2" plywood underlayment under the radiators and the sheetmetal finish to make it flush with either hardwood or carpet.

my dilemma is whether the aluminum choice was a good one considering that it is softer and that radiators, well, radiate heat, and whether aluminum is prone for oilcanning or waviness when exposed to heat. needless to say, the area won't be walked on so i'm not to concerned with scratching.

thanks in advance. i'm not sure this is the best forum to ask this so feel free to suggest a change. i will also post links to this in plumbing and flooring.

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:59 PM   #2

Question

just posting a link to a thread that, IMO, spans different domains of building expertise:

http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/sheet...diators-127424

thanks

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:09 PM   #3

you can buy stainless sheets online very reasonable. why did you post the same thing 3 times in a row??
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

find a local welding shop that does a lot of fab work,they tend to have a variety of left over pieces in differant materials much cheaper that way
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #5

Please only post same question/answer in one forum, this one, thank you.

Gary

Tags
sheet metal