Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2008, 08:55 AM   #1
tmpyankee

Rewards Points: 25

Sheet vinyl seam separating

Hello. I have a problem where the seam between 2 pieces of sheet vinyl (installed about 4-5 years ago) has opened up. It's not lifting or anything, but it seems to be getting worse. It's like the vinyl is shrinking or something. I'd like to ensure the vinyl at least stays in places and keep the seam from opening up more--certainly keep the vinyl from lifting. It's really weird.

Any recommendations?

tmpyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:19 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

where is this vinyl? photos might help too. =o)

DM

DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:46 AM   #3
tmpyankee

It's in a large kitchen, but really mostly in the eating area. I'm sorry, I don't have a photo.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

This problem could be the difference between inexpensive vinyl and the expensive vinyl. At first I thought your installers let is sit in the sun, cut it, and then installed the vinyl. Vinyl expands when it gets warm and shrinks as it cools down. This problem would have happened the same day. There are two things you can do. Either put flat metal/rubber over the splitting or replace all the vinyl. Now you learn something new. The next time you buy vinyl, make sure to ask your floor sales man about this issue and how you can prevent this from happening again. I am just telling you things that I have learned from on the job. Good luck. Let me know how it turns out also

Flooring_=)
flooring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
tmpyankee

Thanks for the advice. We installed the flooring, and while it's not a high-quality vinyl, it's otherwise held up pretty well. I don't recall that it was a warm day when we did the installation, but I can see where that could be a factor. I'll keep it in mind in the future.

I'd like to avoid installing some sort of strip over the seam because it is right in the middle of the room and highly visible. Of course, I'd especially like to avoid replacing the flooring entirely, too. The gap in the seam is probably only a little more than 1/8" and not lifting. Really, I just want to ensure that the seam stays clean of any dirt and debris so that it does not become unsightly. Would it be OK to just lay down a thin bead of high-quality silicone caulk along the length of the seam (or something else you might recommend)? Then I could just watch--if the seam gets worse or starts to lift, I'll give up and lay down a strip.

What do you think?
Old 08-29-2008, 01:00 PM   #6
the Musigician

what are you feeding your house? maybe it's growing? i've not seen flooring laid in strips before, i usually get one full sheet to fit the room. if this is a seam running through the room, do as 'flooring' suggests and replace. metal strips would be fine if it's just a doorway though!

hope this helps!

DM
(a pic would still help)
Old 08-29-2008, 01:03 PM   #7
the Musigician

we crossposted... ummm, a strip in the middle of the room is a trip hazard, i'd think. redo the whole thing is best. caulk would REALLY show up.

DM
Old 08-29-2008, 01:11 PM   #8
tmpyankee

Ha ha!

It's not laid in strips. It's just that the room is really big (I can't recall the measurements exactly, but it's a long rectangle, with an "L" to the front entrance at one end). Anyway, whatever width the vinyl at the big box store was--it was just a little shy of the width of that room. We laid the vinyl across the width instead of the length. Otherwise, we would have had an extremely long seam right in front of the back entrance (high traffic!) and in front of the kitchen sink (lots of water!), as well as an additional seam across the front entrance of the house. We thought it would be better to have just one seam, the majority of which falls under the tenants' dining table, away from doorways and water and such.

Yes, I know I can buy wider vinyl, but it would have been too unwieldy for my husband and me to handle ourselves.

I'm gonna try my silicone trick and see what happens. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work and I have to put down some sort of strip.

This is why we have never installed vinyl since that floor--only porcelain tile. Vinyl is a pain in the butt to install and is highly susceptable to damage.

Thanks for the tips though. If ever I do vinyl again, I will keep in mind to avoid the sun!!!
Old 08-29-2008, 02:15 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

Then you can just make it look like a grout line. I would get some seam sealer. They sell that at homedepot and lowes. It comes 2 parts and a cleaner. (Gloss or semi gloss) Once you mix it, you have to use it. Seam sealer is not going to cover the problem, but it will help prevent it from getting dirty and cupping. I don’t think I would use grout.

flooring
flooring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:39 PM   #10
tmpyankee

That's what I'll do. Yeah, definitely no grout. That would be a disaster. Thanks a bunch for the advice!!!
Old 08-30-2008, 08:02 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 150

did you use a seam sealer?
mike costello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:28 PM   #12
Get out of the box!

Rewards Points: 250

Ft Mill eh?
I have an office in Charlotte just a few blocks from Hendrick Motorsports.
My office manager lives in Ft Mill.
Small world.

Anyhoo. You must be sure of what type of floor it is to seal the seam if you get the wrong seam sealer it will burn the floor or it will just be a waste of 19.95.
There is really no good fix it the seam has shrunk. if it has lifetd the best soultion is to clean out from under the curl very good and then use some contact cement do not use a lot or it will get to hot for the vinyl. do not reset it to fast wait until the contact...contacts!

If it is full vinyl product like interflex, contact cement will burn it up.
You simply must know what you are working with or you just make bad situation worse and if that happens the only choice left will be "hammadown" some metal over it.

26yrsinflooring is offline   Reply With Quote