Sheet Vinyl Bubble - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2008, 08:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sheet vinyl bubble

Had some sheet vinyl installed (perimeter bond) and there's a small (maybe 2" x 8") section where the vinyl is slightly bubbled. It's right where the sheet was folded back when the installer (a relative; yes, I know) glued the first half of the perimeter.

So I call the installer and he says "Don't worry, wait a couple days, it'll settle down". It's now been 2 months it's still the same. The last time we spoke he said "You can hardly notice that bump" and made it seem like I was being unreasonable. Maybe I am, but that bubble is right in the middle of the floor and bugs me.

A friend said he read about using a hypodermic needle to poke a hole and remove the air and then inject some glue. Is this standard practice? I'm guessing that sheet vinyl adhesive would be too thick to inject with a needle, so any ideas on what type of glue would be best?

Thanks very much for any help.

Advertisement

DiceyPropositions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Sheet vinyl bubble

Poking a tiny hole is commonly done to relieve air bubbles in both vinyl floring and wall paper. Pick a spot in the pattern that will be difficult to see, such as the junction of color changes or designs, as the hole may need to be a little larger than a needle poke. If the needle doesn't work , it maybe necesary to use a tiny drill bit. Chances are the adhesive in this spot is still not cured, so once you release the air pocket, you can probably roll the bubble down and have it stick.

Advertisement

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 12:39 PM   #3

Sheet vinyl bubble

Thanks for the help, troubleseeker. I'll poke a hole and see what's what. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:03 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,614

Sheet vinyl bubble

Quote:
It's right where the sheet was folded back when the installer (a relative; yes, I know) glued the first half of the perimeter.
Is this fully-glued or only perimeter-glued? If it is only perimeter-glued that bubble IS NOT trapped air, it is likely stretched vinyl. You can get syringes from veterinary supply companies that have needles big enough in diameter to allow some adhesive to move through them.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:12 PM   #5

Sheet vinyl bubble

Hi Bud,

Thanks for the reply. It's perimeter-glued. It may be stretched, I don't really know. A friend who has a bit of experience in this dept. guessed that when the installer laid the second half down onto the adhesive, he didn't pull the sheet evenly, which resulted in a slight buckling on one side, which left the bubble.

Thanks also for the tip on the syringe. Seems like that would be a rather large needle, but it might be necessary.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:43 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,614

Sheet vinyl bubble

Insert the needle at a steep angle, (5 or 10 degrees off the floor plane) inject the adhesive, pull the needle out. Roll the area to spread the adhesive under the material.

If the roller doesn't make the needle penetration disappear then heat the vinyl at the injection site with a hair dryer and roll over the hole, it will usually close.

If this is a distortion (in the vinyl) then getting it to stay flat may be a problem. The adhesive could take days to dry also. I would use a book or something flat to sit on the site and maybe even a chair leg or a brick to weight it down. Once vinyl is stretched it can have a memory and may not be totally repairable.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:48 PM   #7

Sheet vinyl bubble

Great information, thanks, I'll give this a try. I'm concerned about the distortion and the fact that's it's been two months since the install, but it's worth a shot.

Advertisement