Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2009, 09:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sheet Vinyl Bath Part II

Guys, I have a couple of other questions:

I stripped off linoleum and some self stick tiles off this bathroom floor. Underneath is a 1/8 inch brown board like cardboard ( i forget what this stuff is called) It's in really good shape and secured to 7/8 plywood (the total thickness is 1 inch)
We planed a 2x4 3 inches wide by 1 inch thick to make up a gap where a new tub was installed. I'll screw this to down for a filler

My questions:

1. The place where my son bought the vinyl says that wherever there are seams, we should either apply some substance they will mix up for us...or we should install 1/4 in backer-board. What is the deal with this smoothing material? If I just have a 1/4 inch gap in a seam but it's smooth do I need to use this substance or a filler for the small gap? Won't the vinyl span a small gap?

2. Regarding cutting: I know I can either make a template or cut it in the room after cutting it 3 inches oversized. Cutting in the room seems difficult to me. I am afraid it would crease where I did not want it to crease. Any thoughts on this? The bath is just 10 x 4 with one section an inch wider wider where the tub is.

Thanks this is really helpful to me.

JackVa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:49 AM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,240

Sheet Vinyl Bath Part II

What kind of vinyl are you installing? From your other post I assumed you were installing IVC, like Flexitec. Am I wrong?

rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:09 PM   #3

Sheet Vinyl Bath Part II

It looks like tile - I have not seen it yet. My son bought it - hi quality and you glue it on
Old 07-31-2009, 06:58 AM   #4
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

Sheet Vinyl Bath Part II

If I'm reading you correctly, you have a gap in the subfloor and you'll be installing the vinyl over it. If you are using IVC then you are in better shape than if you are using a traditional sheet vinyl. For IVC, yes fill the gap. The vinyl will span it, but the gap will show through the vinyl. This is called telegraphing. IVC handles it better than most due to the cushioned back, but a gap that size should definitely be filled. If it's regular sheet vinyl, you need a 1/4" thick layer of birch plywood with all seems filled to give a good surface to lay on. Regular vinyl will telegraph any irregularities through much worse than IVC.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:14 PM   #5

Sheet Vinyl Bath Part II

I am trying to find out what my son purchased. He siad it was good expensive and looks just like real tile.

What if I get the gap between the plywood fill and the rest of the floor down to 1/16 or 1/8th? Should I still fill it? Does it matter what I fill it with? Why not just shhot the glue in there? Thanks for the help, we are laying it tomorrow.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:23 PM   #6

Sheet Vinyl Bath Part II

Armstrong Inlaid Vinyl. They gave us filler with it.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:25 PM   #7
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,240

Sheet Vinyl Bath Part II

If it is real inlaid, you will need to make a pattern. It can be very difficult for a diyer to install.

rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote