Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Shed Flooring

Basic old 10x12 shed floor, 3/4" pressure treated ply. It is 7 years old, so the bare plywood is stained and dirt marks......making it not possible to just throw a clear coating over it..

I currently have 2 year old vinyl flooring which is ripping, and a throw carpet in the middle. In a year, it will be insulated and AC/Heated. It is used for storage and a small work area/hangout......

What should I do with the floor? I want it to last more than 2 years care free

Carpet?
Stain it?
Paint it?

Thanks......

seansy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #2

Shed Flooring

I would put commercial vinyl tile, 12x12's. With a good coat of wax it will be good for several years. And then just stripe and wax it again, as needed.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF SAWDUST IN THE MORNING!
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,238

Shed Flooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman58 View Post
I would put commercial vinyl tile, 12x12's. With a good coat of wax it will be good for several years. And then just stripe and wax it again, as needed.
Probably would have to put down 1/4" plywood underlayment to get the tile to stick. It won't stick to a dirty maybe oily floor.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #4

Shed Flooring

Okay.....well, as long as no one else has any objections...........I rather not go vinyl since it is slippery and rips easily....

I'm going to sand the floor smooth, clean it well, stain the floor, and polyurethane the floor. I'd like to stain the ply a nice natural oak wood color.

A few questions.

1. Oil or water based stain?

2. Oil or water based polyurethane? And which may cause the floor to be more slippery? Which one would last longer?

Thankyou!
seansy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 252

Shed Flooring

I would do an oil based stain and an oil based poly. However, if you are really concerned with it being slippery you might consider doing the oil based stain, a coat of oil based poly, then 2 finish coats of anti slip bona traffic water finish. Using this combo would be sure to not be very slippery and it would be very durable. The only downside would be buying all of this different stuff and the Bona traffic is $100 per gallon. Although, 1 gallon would easily do multiple coats.
Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote