Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2009, 09:01 AM   #1

Share |

Semi polished limestone tiles

Hi
I have had new semi polished limestone Floor tiles laid. Unfortunately they were not cleaned properly before 2 coats of sealant was applied. You can see swipes of a floor mop.
Can they be sanded back to tile or does the sealant have been stripped off. Please can anyone help.

Carndonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

I'd call the manufacturer of the sealant and ask them the best way to remove the sealant. They should offer a product that will do the trick.
Then I'd be sending a bill to your tile setter!

Old 01-07-2009, 01:25 PM   #3

Hi thanks for response. I think it does say on the seantant bottle what product to use to strip sealant. Tiler has supposedly corrected mistake. But it looks worse, no idea what method he used but obviously need to speak to him but need to get over huge disappointment.
Thanks
Carndonagh
Old 01-07-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
Tileguy

As rocks go, limestones can be very porous and I would hesitate using any stripper that would reduce the sealer to an emulsion and then carry it deeper into the stone. That's probably what has happened now.

I would try sanding the surface, I don't think it will hurt anything and will remove the sealer at the surface. Once you sand one tile you'll be sanding them all I'm sure because sanding will alter the surface texture of the stone.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:03 AM   #5

Thank you Bud Cline for response. A store cupboard was also tiled in the semi polished limestone tile. I think I will test a couple of tiles there by sanding and doing another couple by stripping. I have been given mixed advice, so perhaps I should try both.
Many Thanks
Carndonagh
Old 01-08-2009, 09:56 AM   #6
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Yep, Bud has a very good point!
However, I just went through a similar situation. The sealant was Aqua Mix and they suggested a stripper. This was on tumbled travertine. Their solution worked. It removed the surface sealant residue. However, they said because of the sealant that absorbed already, no other sealant could be used. Worst case, just more of the original. I assumed the same situation would apply to you. I still suggest you contact the manufacturer to see what they have to say and for pete's sake, don't let the tile guy touch it any more!
Old 01-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #7

Hi Angus 242
I have emailed supplier of tile. If do not hear anything tomorrow I will ring them. They are small company and have been a great help in the past.
Sounds like your problem was the same as mine. Will let you know what supplier says. By the way the tiler did excellent work at tiling but I cannot understand why the rest went so wrong.
Thanks again for help
carndonagh
Old 01-13-2009, 05:07 PM   #8

Hi Angus 242 and Bud Cline. The supplier of my Limestone tiles got back to me. He says I need to use a sealant stripper and start again.
Many thanks to you both for help.
Regards
Carndonagh