DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

self stick vinyl tiles

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  joecaption 
#1 ·
I want to put down self stick vinyl tiles and now have sheet linoleum. it has the self stick tiles underneath. I will have to take them up. and then either put down new over the old underlayment. I have a problem with the subfloor which is three quarter inch boards. there is a soft spot where the boards came loose from the joists. and the floor moves when you step on it. two questions I have is can you renail the subfloor to the joists and is there some kind of caulk or adhesive you can put between the subfloor and the joist to stop the movement? 2 If I tear up the linoleum and then the old self stick vinyl the floor will be sticky, I read that if you use adhesive on the old self stick glue it will dry and create a new surface for the new tiles to adhere to. Is that true? thanks for any advice.

#2 ·
Very very bad plan. Not going to find to many fans of peel and stick tile here and trying to lay it over all that mess is a sure way to have it fail.
Going to have to stip all that old flooring all the way to at least the first subfloor and lay new subflooring and underlaymant to have this work.
Peel and stick is the lowest of the low when it comes to flooring, please consider a quality sheet linolium floor or something else instead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.