Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2010, 04:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Self levelling compund for wood flooring

I want to install hardwood flooring over plywood base on a second level floor of my home. I will screw down any loose plywood as i find it and use the sander to flatten some high joining edes, but essentially I do not want to sand a whole floor. It has been suggested that I need to use a self levelling compound to make the floor even before I put down the 3/4" solid wood strips. Is this really necessary?
The plywood is the standard D grade unfinished for flooring and I thought looked O.K.

Thanks

Mackenziewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackenziewood View Post
I want to install hardwood flooring over plywood base on a second level floor of my home. I will screw down any loose plywood as i find it and use the sander to flatten some high joining edes, but essentially I do not want to sand a whole floor. It has been suggested that I need to use a self levelling compound to make the floor even before I put down the 3/4" solid wood strips. Is this really necessary?
The plywood is the standard D grade unfinished for flooring and I thought looked O.K.

Thanks
Hey Mackenzie,

I wouldn't recommend using self leveller under a wood floor as it will break when you fire your cleats through the wood. Essentially it would be like walking on a hardwood floor installed over gravel (from a sound perspective,) and will eventually lead to more movement in the floor.

If you've got dips in your substrate that are deep enough to warrant the use of self-leveller you may have some joist issues. Check the level of the floor using a straight edge and if your dips are 3/16th of an inch or less you're good to go. If you do require some levelling, consider cork underlay as it can easily be shaped and is structurally sound. If you have to use a self leveller I would recommend looking at other floor covering options!

Hope that's helpful!

rcuerrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the info. Yhese are good points.
I am thinking now that the use of say 40 lb felt as a floor covering which can help movement but also act as a bit of a leveler should be all i need if the dips are very little.
Mackenziewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

That should work fine! Have fun with the project!
rcuerrier is offline   Reply With Quote