Self Leveling Underlayment & Laminate Flooring - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Self leveling Underlayment & Laminate flooring

I have some brand new laminate that I need to install, the old subfloor was exposed after the horrid carpet was removed and it is composed of ceramic tile (I think) over old concrete and is fairly uneven in some areas and cracked along the edges in some places from removing the carpet which was stapled through a piece of wood directly into the tile.

I was wondering if I used a self leveling compound such as LevelQuik RS Self-Leveling Underlayment, If I would need anything else between the LevelQuik and the laminate flooring, foam underlay, vapour barrier etc.

Also would this be the best product to use?

Sorry about all the white crap on the floor, haven't washed all the drywall compound off the ground yet, still doing that haha.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/leve...131029222451:s

Advertisement

Last edited by wingzjr; 10-29-2013 at 06:48 PM.
wingzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 530

I'm not real big on Custom products but you have the right idea. I'd recommend priming with Mapei Primer T and leveling with Mapei Ultraplan 1 Plus. What you are looking at is a rapid set and may give you less open time than a regular SLC.

Once the leveler is poured and set you still need pad and vapor barrier. An all-in-one pad with the barrier attached and pretaped edges would work fine.

Advertisement

Old 10-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 626

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppameth View Post
What you are looking at is a rapid set and may give you less open time than a regular SLC.
If you are a rookie at SLC, the last thing you need is rapid setting. In fact, whatever you use, make sure the mix water is very cold, slows down the setting time.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote