Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2009, 10:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Self Leveling Mortor over ...sand Mortor/Cement

I have a small area in the master bathroom that I am planning on Tiling. I have one of those houses that always reveal a wealth of unforseen problems once I start the demo process of any and I mean any job.
So far I removed the contractor grade marble that was circa 1976 only to find a 3/4 inch Sand/cement mortor bed. Some of the mortor bed came up when tile was removed but not all of it. I was thinking the best way to bring the floor up was to go in with a SLM.
I have poured a SLM that was purchased from Big Orange Box store. I dont have the bag anymore, not sure which one it was.( White bag with Red label - Yellow lettering) I poured this over the existing mortor and filled in the spots that came up and it looked pretty good until I did the last pour with the last bit.
I think I did mot mix it well as it dried gray ang the other dried more white.
Well after a day or two the grey started cracking. I have started removing the gray portion back to the white portion. But, I am not sure how to proceed and do not want to put more money into the wrong direction. The area is only about 20 sq ft but it is the Master Bath and I want to do this job right the 1st time.

Here are my Questions: (Pics are attached)

1. Should I just pour a new mix of SLM over the removed gray area and go from there?

2. Should I have removed everything down to the slab and started from scratch? Should I do that now?

I am not sure which way to go on this. Thre area is only about 20 sq ft but it is the Master Bath and I want to do this job right the 1st time.

Remember I had to pour this SLM at least 3/4 inch thick on the side that will but up to the tub.
Attached Thumbnails
Self Leveling Mortor over ...sand Mortor/Cement-photos-037.jpg   Self Leveling Mortor over ...sand Mortor/Cement-photos-038.jpg   Self Leveling Mortor over ...sand Mortor/Cement-photos-040.jpg  

H Town Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:53 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 0

Self Leveling Mortor over ...sand Mortor/Cement

Yes use self leveling cement. But you need to chip up all the old mortar that is loose. Now use foundation sill insulation foam to provide an expansion joint around all the room and the wood strip you need to place at the door way and around the toilet flange. Then apply a primer. (heat mats are great and now is the time to place them) Then pour the mix. Be sure to mix exactly like the bags say and try to mix enough to float the floor at one time.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote