Self-leveling Compound Or Redo Seams? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2012, 10:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

self-leveling compound or redo seams?

First, let me thank you for all the helpful posts in this forum. I'm basically doing this job by myself and have never tackled tile before.
Okay, so here goes - I'm putting down tile in my bathroom. I put thinset down on the wood subfloor and have installed 1/2" hardie backer board. I put thinset on the seams and put down seam tape. I think I put thinset on too thickly because now there's a ridge; I think it's about 1/8" from being flat (level). Question - Is it better to redo the seams by sanding them back down and reapplying thinset mortar to them, or should I apply a self-leveling compound to the whole floor? (And if I do that, do I need to build a dam around the perimeter and somehow cover the toilet drain?) After the floor is fully prepared I will be laying metro hex tiles (the kind that come on the 12" mesh sheets).
Thanks in advance for your help. I want to do this the right way.
Attached Images

Advertisement

cbwakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 534

Well, it should have been 1/4" instead of 1/2 tile board, but no harm done.
As you applyed the thin set it would have been better to have been more carefull and had it flater, but still no real harm done.
Take a putty knife and scrape what you can then wearing a dust mask get it fairly flat.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
cbwakko (02-25-2012)
Old 02-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks! That is what I had hoped someone might say. I've been looking at SLC videos and they were pretty daunting. I've used a putty knife and a sanding block and gotten the seams pretty flat. Now I'm going to lay out all my tiles and see how it looks.
cbwakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,002

CB,
In future projects, Don't tape the seams until you are laying the tile. Go ahead and put down your nylon tape and as you are tiling you will cover the seams with thinset. This way no hump if formed.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote