Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Self-Leveling Compound not totally flat

Hi all, poured three bags of self-leveling in my basement bath last night. Unfortunately, there are still a couple spots that are a bit off. I made the mistake of playing with one area a little too long....

Anyways, the plan is to lay tile, I'm wondering if I should do another bag of the self-leveler and fill in any low spots to meet high spots, or make it up with thin set.

After quickly checking with 4 foot level, it looks like AT MOST I'd have to make up 1/8" to 3/16" in some spots.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Self-Leveling Compound not totally flat-photofloor.jpg  

benleef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Yes, i really think the should come up with a different name for this because it really doesnt "self level" . Self flowing maybe?

1/8" is doable to make up with thin set while u are puting down the tiles. Hopefully they r bigger tiles and not mosaics...haha. 3/16" will be a bit more chalanging. If you do decide to build it up with thinset make your thinset a little thicker because thinset shrinks as the water eveporates. This is assuming you are building it up while you are installing the tile. If you decide to use more self leveling make it a bit thinner I found this to help a little. Not to thin because that lessons the strength of it.

skipoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #3

Thanks for the response! I agree. I found it easier than expected in some respects and harder in others. The worst spot is one that I believe I may have messed with a little too much, and I'm not quite sure if I made it better or worse, whether its high or the adjacent area is low.

I just fear that if I use self-leveler again (I have one bag left) that I could end up making it worse. Tonight, I'll investigate to ensure that I'm only dealing with 1/8".

Don't have the tiles picked out yet, but they will most definitely be 12"x12"
Thanks.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #4

So, last night I re-primed the floor with the self leveling primer, but then after looking at the floor some more, I decided against doing another layer of self leveling compound--

Now my question becomes--will the primer cause any problems with the thinset adhering?
Old 04-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by benleef View Post
So, last night I re-primed the floor with the self leveling primer, but then after looking at the floor some more, I decided against doing another layer of self leveling compound--

Now my question becomes--will the primer cause any problems with the thinset adhering?
Never came across that one before. Logically I would say no. If anything it would be better but I am not sure. When you put thinset down you do it with a trowel so it forces it into the surface you are applying and cleans fine layer of particals that vacuming does not get up. Pouring it like you do with self leveling does not. Using a primer or another name for it is bonding agent helps bond the two. I know of some people that actually wash the floor down instead of using bonding agent but I would not advise it. I am not sure but I dont think you would have needed to reprime the floor anyways if you were just adding more of the self leveling compound.
skipoff is offline   Reply With Quote