Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Self-leveling compound as finished floor?

My home is approximately 40 years old, on a concrete slab. Our existing interior burber carpet is nasty. We have indoor pets and we've all managed to destroyed it in 10 years, it's time to replace the floors. The rest of my interior floors that aren't carpet are linoleum, and that's started to peel at the seams. I don't want carpet, nor linoleum again, so I'm looking into all the choices available.

I've read that concrete is the most durable flooring, and it has recently become popular in the USA to acid-stain concrete floors. However, I've only seen beautiful stained concrete floors in newly constructed homes. With my old house though, there will surely be cracks in the foundation, holes from the carpet tac boards once they are pulled out, and old glue and tiles we carpeted over.

I tried googling around to find information about how durable a veneer of concrete on an exiting concrete slab would be, and how difficult it is to apply. But it seems there aren't many products or information for homeowners, there was lots of information for industrial applications in restaurants, department stores, etc.

I thought a self-leveling compound may be adequate, relatively easy for a DIY project, would cover cracks and imperfections in the slab. But like I said, there's not much information out there... or perhaps I don't know the right terms to use in my google searches.

Anyone here have any answers, advice, or guidance for me?

Thank you

Melal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,848

Sorry to tell you---but self leveling compound is to soft the use as a wear surface---it would be scratched and worn to quickly to be worth the cost of installing it.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,068

It says right in all the data sheets it can not be a finished walking surface.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:50 PM   #4

Thanks for your replies.

Is there any other product that would achieve the flooring results I'm looking for? A concrete veneer, stained and sealed?

I know it's out there, I've found some European sites talking about this application, and I've found a few obscure sites that don't have much information.

I'm not associated with any of these places I'm about to link, but could you folks take a look, maybe advise if this is possible DIY? Where I could find products and/or more information for this flooring technique?

http://www.concretenetwork.com/concr...s/overlays.htm

http://www.wowfactorfinishes.com/

http://www.minneapolis-concrete.com/...e-overlay.html

Last edited by Melal; 11-29-2012 at 12:07 AM. Reason: added another site that I am not affiliated with.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:15 AM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,848

It sure looks like you can get an overlay done---I wonder if those products are available as a DIY product---
Old 11-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #6

I figured out the jargon to search for, cement overlay. Found this thread plus a dozen more here talking about what I want to do:

What concrete do I use for resurfacing a interior floor?

Seems this is still a niche technique, so no DIY kits at Home Depot, no plethora of free DIY youtube vids.