Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #1

Share |

Seem/divider in laminate floor?

I am looking at a house for purchase. It has a newer laminate floor. Right accross the center of the floor is, not sure of the proper term so will call it a divider strip.

all the flooring appears to have been installed at the same time and the strip matches the flooring. The installation appears to be professional or a very talented DIY'er.

Is there any practical or technical reason like expansion for installing this strip? Looks terrible to me.

Included a picture, not sure how it will show up?
JIm
Attached Images

jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
I am looking at a house for purchase. It has a newer laminate floor. Right accross the center of the floor is, not sure of the proper term so will call it a divider strip.

all the flooring appears to have been installed at the same time and the strip matches the flooring. The installation appears to be professional or a very talented DIY'er.

Is there any practical or technical reason like expansion for installing this strip? Looks terrible to me.

Included a picture, not sure how it will show up?
JIm
I have a similar strip between my living room and dining room. The installation instructions stipulated that runs longer than 17' should have an expansion strip installed.
Each manufacturer of laminate flooring will state the requirements for their, individual products.

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #3

If the installer leaves a expanstion gaps alone the perimeters then there really isn't a necessity to have the strip but it's a preventative as it is a DIY floor.
I've installed 3 bedroom apartments with laminate and no expansion gaps and never had problems.
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:54 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses! My memory is not that great any more but it seems that I have been in many very large rooms done in laminate that did not have an expansion strip. Seems like many were in public buildings were the floor would have been done professionally and probably with a guarantee.

Did I mention my memory is not that good
Old 05-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
Thanks for the responses! My memory is not that great any more but it seems that I have been in many very large rooms done in laminate that did not have an expansion strip. Seems like many were in public buildings were the floor would have been done professionally and probably with a guarantee.

Did I mention my memory is not that good
If the manufacturer states in their installation instructions that an expansion strip is required every so many feet and this instruction is not adhered to, they will use this as an out to void the warranty. Then, the installer is responsible for any problems.
The problem is, who was the installer? In most cases the installer is long gone, and the owner is stuck with the problem.
I have always followed the install instructions, explicitly to maintain the warranty.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #6

Again thanks for the responses always appreciated. JIm
Old 05-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #7

Some products do put that on for warranty some don't. In my inlaws apartment hallway it's longer then 17 ft and 4 ft wide no expanstion strip I then noticed it peaked up in the middle of the hallway, it's wasn't from a none expanstion strip but they did not offset the seems at least a foot
It was full planks all the way down. So offsetting or staggering the seams at least a foot will reduce the need for a strip.

Just a food for thought
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #8

I detest the look of the strip. It at least could have been put in a less noticeable place. But doubt I can convince the wife the floor needs to come up. I guess could drag something heavy and sharp across the floor

The Following User Says Thank You to jjrbus For This Useful Post:
JetSwet (05-22-2012)