Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2008, 08:20 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Seeking technical information on Allure Traffic Master tile

The room I use for an office is about 11' x 13'. It is carpeted. Instead of using a commercial plastic matt to roll my chair on, I use a 4' x 8' x 3/16" Masonite panel. It costs $10.00 compared to $50 or $60 for 2 regular mats that wear out in 12 to 18 months. I roll on my chair from my drawing board to my computer to my desk on the panel.

My wife thinks the masonite looks trashy.

I ran across Allure by TrafficMaster at Home Depot and it struck me as an ideal solution to my problem. However I could not get across to the Sales Person that the tiles sticking to each other would not assure that the assembeld tiles would not migrate off the masonite. She thought that if it stayed in place on a floor, there was no reason it would not stay on my panel. The panel is surrounded by carpet. There are no walls to keep the tile in place.

Can anyone tell me if it indeed would stay in place without added adhesive between the tile and panel? If not what adhesive is good to use? One that is compatable with the product.

Ray P.

Raymond Panaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:41 AM   #2
Tileguy

Spend fifty bucks on a chair mat and be happy for a while. The Allure won't last and the salesman (woman) doesn't have a clue.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:19 PM   #3

Trafficemaster Allure Vinyl Flooring--BAD Experience!!
Just wanted to share our horrible experience with this product to spare others the heartache and frustration we have had this past year. First the seams lifted, which eventually led to Halstead (the manufacturer) refunding our total amount spent on this product. Then upon removal of the product, we found solid MOLD growing under the flooring!! We had installed it in a "dry" walkout basement which is actually a foot above grade/ground level. We had carpet and padding down for 7 years with no moisture/mold issues. Now our cement subfloor has been compromised, and even after cleaning with bleach and water 3 times, we are still told by professionals to seal it with a mold inhibitor paint to prevent any mold spores that are still in the cement from growing in the future. In my opinion, based on our experience, this product has a flaw in it's application for use. It seems to set up conditions for moisture to be trapped and breed mold. You don't have this issue with carpet as it breathes, and you don't have this issue with traditional vinyl because it is glued completely to the subfloor or sealed around the perimeter. This product doesn't require any floor prep in it's install and it doesn't seal out air with any type of gluing down of the floor. In my opinion this allows air and moisture to be trapped under the vinyl, and presto! you have a science project growing in your home! I feel we were lucky to have the seam lifting issue which led to us removing the flooring from our home after only 8 months....what if we had left it for 5 years...can you imagine the mold levels that might have existed then?! Contact me if you want pictures!!!
mngal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mngal For This Useful Post:
bbcats (09-25-2010)
Old 03-12-2008, 06:22 PM   #4

Whew,glad I wasnt the installer on that job
mike costello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:39 PM   #5

Others are having the same issue from what my research has found....seams lifting and molding....might have something to do with the product, but that's just my opinion based on my experience and research.
mngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:29 PM   #6

Hello,
My name is Toni and we are seriously considering the Trafficemaster Allure Vinyl Flooring to install over concrete floor in the basement. I am concerned about the mold issue. Home Depot and the manufacturer assure that it is safe.

We do not have much money and would have to spend in excess of $800 just for the flooring...if it is going to be a breeding ground for MOLD I would rather pass.

Please send me your photos and comments if possible.

Best Regards,

Toni-Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mngal View Post
Trafficemaster Allure Vinyl Flooring--BAD Experience!!
Just wanted to share our horrible experience with this product to spare others the heartache and frustration we have had this past year. First the seams lifted, which eventually led to Halstead (the manufacturer) refunding our total amount spent on this product. Then upon removal of the product, we found solid MOLD growing under the flooring!! We had installed it in a "dry" walkout basement which is actually a foot above grade/ground level. We had carpet and padding down for 7 years with no moisture/mold issues. Now our cement subfloor has been compromised, and even after cleaning with bleach and water 3 times, we are still told by professionals to seal it with a mold inhibitor paint to prevent any mold spores that are still in the cement from growing in the future. In my opinion, based on our experience, this product has a flaw in it's application for use. It seems to set up conditions for moisture to be trapped and breed mold. You don't have this issue with carpet as it breathes, and you don't have this issue with traditional vinyl because it is glued completely to the subfloor or sealed around the perimeter. This product doesn't require any floor prep in it's install and it doesn't seal out air with any type of gluing down of the floor. In my opinion this allows air and moisture to be trapped under the vinyl, and presto! you have a science project growing in your home! I feel we were lucky to have the seam lifting issue which led to us removing the flooring from our home after only 8 months....what if we had left it for 5 years...can you imagine the mold levels that might have existed then?! Contact me if you want pictures!!!
catchpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:30 AM   #7

We debated on putting this on our floors but after reviews decided on Novalis Home Fashion Collection their Timber Series from Lowes. It was easy to work with and looks great. We love it.

Want to see it down?

SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote