Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2010, 03:16 PM   #1

Share |

Seeking Professional Advice

Ok, so I have a 20' X 12' kitchen with a 3.5' X 11' hallway jaunting off of the kitchen that is tiled with ceramic tile. I want to pull all of that up and put down a wood laminate floor.
This the middle floor of a 3 story town home. I can see when I remove the floor vent cover that there is a 5/8" board, 1/4" board, 1/4" board, ceramic tile layered in that order.
So my question is would it be better/easier to remove the tile and the top layer of subflooring to get all of the thinset?

What would be the correct way of doing it all?

Thanks for all your help and patience.

seagrtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
Solutions (handyman)

I'm not a pro, but have done some work similar to what you are askiong about. The total of the 5/8. 1/4, 1/4, bring ther thickness to 1" plus ... which is recommended for ceramic, slate, etc. In your case, if you are installing laminate, I assume it will be a "floating" floor. The primary concern is not the strength but to make sure it is as level as possible. Uneven subflooring will lead to the joints of the laminate not closing properly and it will look like the "planks" has split. Hope this helps.

Mark Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Harvey View Post
I'm not a pro, but have done some work similar to what you are askiong about. The total of the 5/8. 1/4, 1/4, bring ther thickness to 1" plus ... which is recommended for ceramic, slate, etc. In your case, if you are installing laminate, I assume it will be a "floating" floor. The primary concern is not the strength but to make sure it is as level as possible. Uneven subflooring will lead to the joints of the laminate not closing properly and it will look like the "planks" has split. Hope this helps.
Thanks Mark. Thickness was not my concern. My true concern is getting the thinset off of the subfloor. I don't know how hard this is going to be and was wondering if it is easier/better to just pull up that top layer of subfloor and put down a new one then install the floating floor.
seagrtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
DIY staff

Your best bet is to remove the 1/4 inch underlayment along with the tile-- that's the standard practice.

Usually you must beat the tile off the underlayment before you can remove the 1/4 inch.

---Mike---
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #5
Solutions (handyman)

I agree with Mike. This is probably the easiest way and will give you a better chance at getting the floor you want.
Mark Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote