DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Seeking advice for repairing small tear in bathroom linoleum floor

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  joecaption 
#1 ·
The linoleum floor in my bathroom has a small tear in it, and it got so bad it started to get snagged and catching on peoples' shoes, so I cut a neat small rectangle out of the floor to remove the damaged portion to not spread further.

Here is a photo, with a standard cotton swab next to it for scale. It's only about 4 inches long, and about 2 inches wide.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/lonlonmilklover/floorpatch_zps489dd29e.jpg

I gather the cement / concrete below the linoleum needs filling, and I need to patch the linoleum square itself. There is no moisture or mold under this spot of the floor, it's clean and quite dry.

I consider myself moderately handy but have simply never fixed a hole in linoleum floor but from what I gather, and I like to research before diving in without knowledge on things, so I came here :)

From what I have gathered from research, I need to do the following (?) :

-Get some Quikrete/ Cement / Hard Putty filler to make the floor flush again in that area.
-Get a patch of similar linoleum as well as sealant of some sort (Silicone sealant?)
-Cut a square matching the outlining pattern of the floor around the current hole.
-Lay down the cut square of new linoleum perfectly and then seal it with the sealant.

Is this true? I have several large putty knives already, so, My materials needed would be just :

-Cement/Concrete (very small amount)
-Small piece of linoleum
-Some kind of sealant to seal new linoleum patch.

This sounds like a fun project but on Home Depot's website, there are so many choices of cements putties and concretes I don't know which would be easiest and in a small quantity.

Do any handy folks have any suggestions regarding my plan ?

Many thanks for your time :)

See less See more
#2 ·
You can do whatever you want but there's someone going on under that floor that will just make it fail again.
Unless someone just did not care and laid that floor right over a failing floor.

#3 ·
If I remember correctly when we moved into the house, a curling iron was dropped on the floor, sharp side down, and gouged the floor :/

We just kept walking on it gouged and it slowly tore up underneath over the last year :( Oops.

All other spots on the floor and solid and clean, so I wanted to just patch the one spot rather than refloor the entire bathroom all because of a 3 inch spot. Bummer.

#4 ·
No way I can think of that big a hole could have been cause by what your suggesting.
Also a small repair in a door way is not likly to hold up for long.
If I had to do it I'd chip out anything loose, vacuum it out and use hydrolic cement to patch it.
Then use something like this to glue it down.
http://www.wwhenry.com/content.aspx?id=416&View=Product&cID=96&pID=102

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.