Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2008, 12:03 PM   #1

Share |

Securing subfloor over a concrete pad

Hi,

I'm working on a enclosed porch (breezeway, 3-season room, etc), that had a concrete pad as a floor. I put down pressure treated 2x3's, with PL400 and Ramset nails. I then put 3/4 OSB down on top. My plan was to cover with cement board and then put ceramic tile on top.

The issue is that in a few places, you can feel a little bit of movement in the floor. The OSB and sleepers are glued and screwed together, which makes me think that the concrete and sleeper are not fully attached. Knowing that I need to have the floor be solid before putting down tile, I'm not sure what I can do, now that the OSB is pretty much solidly attached to the sleepers.

My first thought is to try out some long Tapcom's, but I've never had good luck with getting a good hold with them. I could also try firing more ramset nails but with the sleeper, they would only penetrate about an inch into the concrete, and that might not be good enough. Would the 1/4" cement board on top of the OSB stiffen the floor up enough, if these two options don't work?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-Kevin

ktulu05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:57 PM   #2
Tileguy

Kevin,

Your entire plan is seriously flawed and will not work. You should remove and install the ceramic tile on the slab, or over a crack isolation membrane such as Ditra or Noble.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Kevin,

Your entire plan is seriously flawed and will not work. You should remove and install the ceramic tile on the slab, or over a crack isolation membrane such as Ditra or Noble.

Jaz
The concrete slab was ice-cold in the winter (Ohio), so I wanted to insulate the floor. There is ridgid foam insulation between the sleepers to act as both a vapor barrier and insulation. Radiant heat flooring was not an option, as we're not looking to stay here long-term. It sounds like the Ditra is perfect for my application, from a movement perspective, and because a sunroom will experience more temperature swing, and that could allow movement.
ktulu05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:27 PM   #4
Tileguy

Ditra is the best thing since sliced bread....but will not help you with vertical movement, which is what you have in those spots. I guarantee that situation will get worse.

You should NOT have used pressure treated lumber indoors. It will continue to shrink and twist causing problems. Gluing PT is a waste, no way will the adhesive hold for very long.

Your best chance is if you can somehow shoot those 2x3's every 12" or so. But it'll only take one to give way to ruin everything above it.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:19 AM   #5
Tileguy

What made you do all this?

Listen to Jaz.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote