Sealing Tile Counter - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2009, 02:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 518

sealing tile counter

I just installed the tile on my counter top and it's kinda pouris so I think I would like to seal it before I grout it. The tile is 6x6 ceramic but it is kinda pouris. What kind of sealer do I need for this? Do I need a penatrating sealer? Is there a decent sealer at home depot or lowes or menards or do I need to go somewhere else. I would like to do this monday so it would be nice if I can get a decent sealer monday. Also what is the best way to apply the sealer? Thanks

Advertisement

ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,238

sealing tile counter

Chances are your tiles are porcelain, probably mate glaze. I can't tell from here, why don't you tell us what tiles you have? Maybe the tiles also have a texture? The carton should tell you what it is, or maybe there's a website link?

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 518

sealing tile counter

You are correct jazman. I did some more research and they are glazed porcelain, hard to see the glaze. They do have a texture, like little craters on the tile. I went ahead and grouted them. Turned out good, some grout stuck in the craters but a little scrubing got that out. Is there a better way to get what grout gets in the craters out? And now I need to seal the whole counter. What is a good sealer? I got a little confused when I was looking at them. Do I want a penetrating sealer or just a regular sealer? Thanks for your help
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote