Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2008, 10:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sealing tile

I'm laying porcelain tile in my bathroom. It has a texture on it. My wife works with a contractor's wife and he said they seal the tile as well as the grout. Is this common practice? I was definitely going to seal the grout. Also, I saw some grout sealer at Lowes that comes in a spray can. It said you just spray it on, and what gets on the tile, evaporates with no residue. Sounds too good to be true. Anyone have any experience with it?

roost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,470

Sealing tile

Most of today's ceramic tiles won't even take (absorb) a sealer. Some of them will permanently mark the tile if not cleaned off right away after sealing the grout. YOU DO NOT (in most cases) SEAL THE CERAMIC TILE.

Stone tile is a totally different story and most DOES require sealing.

The spray can grout sealer is a joke and the makers should be arrested for grand larceny.

Use a liquid sealer that you can apply and see and feel and place and taste and one that will work.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:02 PM   #3
l1r

Rewards Points: 25

Sealing tile

Don't bother. Just seal grout, you'll be fine. Waste of money and seale to seal tile.
l1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:12 AM   #4

Sealing tile

Thanks for the reply guys. While on the subject of grout, is anyone aware of a product which you could spray on the tile, prior to grouting, to help alleviate grout film (kinda like Grout Pam)?
roost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:28 AM   #5
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Rewards Points: 500

Sealing tile

The only product I'm aware of is: http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...er=arc&lang=en although, there are more products to help you with the haze after it occurs. Personally, I think applying a product before hand is a bit overkill.
angus242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:48 AM   #6
l1r

Rewards Points: 25

Sealing tile

You don't really need anything on ceramic tile. The whole texture thing is PITA, because grout will get stuck in it. You just have to make sure you: 1. do it carefully and don't spread grout all over the tile and 2. wash it promptly. In fact, if the tile is glazed, you can go back as late as in a day and still clean off anything on the glazed part. It will take a little soaking, but will work.
Pre-grout sealers are generally for natural stone, especially good for slate, as that stuff is a pain to grout. With ceramic - you'll be ok.
Edit:
I'm sorry, I just realized you meant grout film. That should not be an issue with careful washing of tile after grout has cured for an hour or so. Let me know if you have further question.
l1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:34 PM   #7

Sealing tile

What is the best sealer to seal my porcelain floor tiles is one of the most frequently asked questions I hear. For those in a hurry, I’ll give you my suggestion right away For those with time (and the desire) to find out why, read on.The answer can depend on the finish of the porcelain; for example, it could be a standard, smooth finish, it could be slightly textured (like a faux slate) or heavily textured, perhaps for anti-slip purposes. However, by far the most common question I receive is in relation to ‘polished’ porcelain.

hope that helps

Last edited by Ron The Plumber; 05-07-2008 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Removed link to website
ayeshaa is offline   Reply With Quote