DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Sealing southern pine flooring

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  weekendwarrior 
#1 ·
I am putting down new southern pine boards, 6 inch wide, in a kitchen/dining area.
I was wanting ideas about what to use to seal it with, I don't really care for the shine of poly, but that could be best. I read something about a antique oil some people use. Any help would be great, thanks.

#2 ·
Several Options

You can always use low gloss poly. I finished my 1940's southern yellow pine kitchen and it worked great. I'm not big on high gloss on pine either.

You can always use the classic Swedish varnish. I thought about it but opted not since I have a small child. I didn't want to expose her to those fumes. As I recall it's a substantially more involved installation resulting in a substantially stronger finish.

There is also the option of an epoxy finish restaraunts use on table tops. It can get pricey but for a small room might not be a bad option. It essentially like pooring glass over the wood.

Finally there are tung oils and or waxes but they won't offer very much protection against wear & tear. These could be a great option if your looking for a rustic weathered look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.