Sealing Pergo - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2007, 03:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sealing Pergo

I recently bought approximately 500sq feet of Pergo Presto from Home Depot (And yes I just read the bad review from someone else on here. Wasn't thrilled to read that!). If I decide to go ahead and install this, is it plausible to seal the entire floor to help reduce the risk of water damage. I looked at the sealant online and it looked like a pretty small tube. I ask because I have a dog who drips water everywhere after she drinks from her water bowl. Thanks!

Advertisement

CD08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:39 AM   #2
Handyman

Sealing Pergo

If what you mean by sealing it your talking about using a sealant in the 1/4" expansion area that would be recommended. A silicone sealant works great to seal the perimeter and prevent water from getting underneath. I'm a handy man and put a bunch of this in and in any potential wet area we seal the perimeter to prevent mosture damage. Hope that helps.

Advertisement

UKMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:01 PM   #3

Sealing Pergo

Does it need to be put on the entire floor or is it somewhat water resistant already?
Old 10-25-2007, 04:58 PM   #4
Handyman

Sealing Pergo

If you're doing a bathroom yes but otherwise just seal the areas you are concerned about moisture penetration. Under the dishwasher and sinks, near the dog bowls etc. When in doubt seal it. Moisture will not penitrate from the top down with normal spills but near all walls is the area of vulnerability. Normal spills on the surface are expected so don't sweat that, just seal the perimeter of the room and your good-to-go.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:38 AM   #5

Sealing Pergo

Actually, I just looked at the boxes today an realized it was Pergo Prestige, not Presto. Is it better, worse or the same as Presto?
Old 10-30-2007, 01:08 PM   #6

Sealing Pergo

Anyone? Is it the same as Pergo Presto or is it different?
Old 10-31-2007, 10:40 PM   #7
Handyman

Sealing Pergo

It is the exact same thing but Home Depot private labels it under their brand name of Presto and retailers have the name Prestige. It just allows the independent retailer a chance to compete with the box accounts like Depot. If you look at the color names their all the same and the product is identical. Prestige and Presto are one-in-the same.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:09 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

Sealing Pergo

UK is right on the money.
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:18 AM   #9

Sealing Pergo

Well, it's been several months since the last post here, but since I found the page by a Google search, someone else may also.

I really doubt the Presto and Prestige are the same thing. I know for a fact that the Prestige has a 30-year warranty, and the Pergo site lists Presto as having a 25-year warranty. Also, the Presto is only 8mm thick, whereas the Prestige is 10mm thick.

If I remember correctly, Home Depot had the Presto and the Prestige displayed almost right beside each other. And I know that the salesman, who was very helpful, was able to clearly explain to us how much better the Pergo Prestige was to the rest of Pergo. Plus, simply standing back and looking at the displays, the difference was very obvious. The Pergo Prestige is just beautiful.
nsdeagle98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:07 AM   #10

Sealing Pergo

I am new to posting on sites like this, I hope this is right. I have a sample of the Pergo Prestige myself and before I purshase this maybe someone with this in their own home can give me feedback on their experience with the Prestige. How do you like it? Is it easy to care for? How is it wearing? Did you diy? Because it will max out budget we will have to install it ourselves. We will be doing our dining and living room on a concrete slab. Any tips or any thing we should be aware of. Thanks
rcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:50 PM   #11

Sealing Pergo

I installed about 500 sq feet in my Kitchen and living room in Feb of this year. About a month later, my 130 gal salt water fish tank leaked and spilled about 10 gallons of water on the floor while I was away for the afternoon. I replaced the wet sections in my kitchen and it has been holding up fine since (granted its only been 4 months). I have a dog and haven't noticed any scratches on the floor. I DIY'd and installation was a piece of cake. I have yet to replace the baseboards that I took out when I installed the floor...better get on it!
Old 06-08-2008, 05:14 PM   #12

Sealing Pergo

Thanks for the feedback. Espeically for the installation part. I am not so "SKERT" now. Good to know if something goes wrong it is fixable.
rcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:16 PM   #13

Question

Sealing Pergo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD08 View Post
I installed about 500 sq feet in my Kitchen and living room in Feb of this year. About a month later, my 130 gal salt water fish tank leaked and spilled about 10 gallons of water on the floor while I was away for the afternoon. I replaced the wet sections in my kitchen and it has been holding up fine since (granted its only been 4 months). I have a dog and haven't noticed any scratches on the floor. I DIY'd and installation was a piece of cake. I have yet to replace the baseboards that I took out when I installed the floor...better get on it!
How did you do the replacement? Did you just cut it out or did you have to pull it up and relay it? We just laid the Pergo Prestige in July and last weekend water seeped in from the backdoor and got under the flooring. Its now buckling in about 1/3'd of the living room.

Thanks.
Abbiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:49 PM   #14
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

Sealing Pergo

There is some really bad information in this thread. You Pergo users may want to check other sources also.

Advertisement

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote