Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2010, 11:18 PM   #1

Share |

to seal or not to seal

I'm about to embark on my slate tile project. Does anyone recommend sealing the slate tiles before I set them or should I just wait till it's grouted and then seal everything together ?

the carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:19 AM   #2

to seal or not to seal

seal together

Stephen S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
Tileguy

to seal or not to seal

You asked;

"Does anyone recommend sealing the slate tiles before I set them or should I just wait till it's grouted and then seal everything together"

Stephen suggested sealing slate after it's set and grouted. I do not agree.

You should seal and possibly even use a grout release too after the tiles are set, but before you grout. Then after final clean up and initial cure you seal everything again, twice or more.

Before all this, you need to consider which "look" you want in the end. A regular penetrating sealer does not change the appearance of the slate. Enhancers, enrich the color and gives it some sheen. On the other hand you could apply a topical finish that can be either matte or shiny. These are acrylics that stay on the surface and of course do wear, so you're in for more maintenance.

Whatever way you go, slate requires lots of attention and also the floors must meet different standards. Over what and how are they being set?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:26 PM   #4

to seal or not to seal

this a vertical installation on an interior chimney chase as well as a hearth. Going over plywood on the vertical part of it...about 12' high. Over top of cement board for the hearth.

I'm doing the kitchen and bathroom floors in a few months. Just plan on going over 3/4 OSB and 3/8 plywood subfloor for that one.

I'm not doing a scratch coat or mesh on the vertical installation. Just a thinset with some Weldbond mixed in. Any advice?

What do you mean about the floors meeting different standards ?
the carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote