Screwing Hardybacker Onto Vinyl Floor - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Screwing hardybacker onto vinyl floor

I've decided to lay ceramic tile over my kitchen vinyl flooring. Is it ok to do so? Sears wants $4K for laminate tiles and around $6K for tiles. My kitchen is about 220 sq.ft. The vinyl is in very good condition with a cut or two and that's it. I dont want to rip the old vinyl because of the labor involved in cleaning up the glued mess. My house was built in 1996.

thanks
Sam

Advertisement

emperor_black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:55 AM   #2
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 530

I don't personally like to lay ceramic over vinyl, but it can be done with the use of an underlayment like Schluter Ditra. Download the Ditra handbook and take a look at the system.

http://www.schluter.com/6846.aspx

Advertisement

poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,620

REMOVE THE VINYL!
It is never OK to install ceramic tile over a vinyl floor.
The vinyl isn't the issue - it's what's under the vinyl where the problems lie.

The ceramic tile industry doesn't sanction the installation of ceramic tile over a vinyl floor.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #4

Bud, the hardybackers are anyways screwed to the floor right? At lowe's one installer suggested a thin layer of thinset between the vinyl and hardybacker. But what really is the problem here? The vinyl is glued really well and if they were gonna lay laminate, they were gonna lay it over the vinyl anyway.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:02 PM   #5
Tileguy

The vinyl isn't the primary issue. It's what may be under the vinyl that could cause a ceramic tile failure. Most houses with of that vintage (with vinyl) had it installed over a 1/4" plywood underlayment. Typically that underlayment possesses voids that will provide movement that can quickly destroy a rigid tile installation. The fact the vinyl is "glued really well" means nothing.

Remove the vinyl and its underlayment and install the Hardi with thinset and fasteners.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:27 AM   #6

Vinyl and underlayment?? Wow, that seems like a lot more work! I removed this type of vinyl in a upstairs toilet. But I did not remove any underlayment then.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:54 PM   #7
Tileguy

Quote:
Vinyl and underlayment?? Wow, that seems like a lot more work!
Whatever!!!

If you remove enough vinyl to find the seams in the underlayment you can then slice through the vinyl along the seams of the underlayment. Then you pry the underlayment and the vinyl comes with it. Don't make it sound harder than it is.

You can also set a circular saw to a depth that includes the thickness of the vinyl AND the underlayemnt and saw paths in the floor about 12 to 16 inches wide - then pry those out.

OR, you can ignore it and see what happens down the road when your tile begins puffing grout and cracking.

I'm just tellin' ya how its done, you do whatever your ambition (or lack thereof) tells you to do.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:15 AM   #8

Ah, I see what you mean now. Sorry if my post came across the wrong way. When removing carpet or laminate, the underlayment is a separate layer of material. I thought there is something like that under the vinyl. I did not recollect any such underlayment when I removed the vinyl in my bathroom and got confused.

I read on some other website also that hardibacker is not recommended to be screwed on vinyl except if its the commercial kind. I'll remove the vinyl. Thanks!

Advertisement