DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Flooring (http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/)
-   -   Screw down subfloor while I have the chance? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/screw-down-subfloor-while-i-have-chance-135092/)

rowdruner 02-26-2012 10:08 AM

Screw down subfloor while I have the chance?
 
I'm taking everything down to the subfloor (OSB) in my house (built 10 years ago) in order to install laminate flooring. Question is, should I use this opportunity to reinforce the already nailed down subfloor with screws? If so, what type of screws?

Thanks for all the great advice on here. Any feedback is much appreciated!

framer52 02-26-2012 10:14 AM

Do you have squeaks?

If you don't, why bother?

Hardway 02-26-2012 10:28 AM

I don't what what kind of screws to use, but I know for sure don't use cheap screws from the big box store.:whistling2:

rusty baker 02-26-2012 10:29 AM

You can always do it in a few years when you pull the laminate like most people do.

framer52 02-26-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardway (Post 863678)
I don't what what kind of screws to use, but I know for sure don't use cheap screws from the big box store.:whistling2:

That makes no sense.

Hardway 02-26-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by framer52 (Post 863684)
That makes no sense.

Yes it does, I use/used the screws from the box store and the heads pop off. In old construction hard wood they are terrible. GRK screws are supposed to be high quality, you wont find them on the big box store self.

http://www.acmetools.com/tools/GRK+Fasteners

Writer’s information is for discussion purpose only and should be confirmed by an independent source.

framer52 02-26-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardway (Post 863695)
Yes it does, I use/used the screws from the box store and the heads pop off. In old construction hard wood they are terrible. GRK screws are supposed to be high quality, you wont find them on the big box store self.

http://www.acmetools.com/tools/GRK+Fasteners

Writer’s information is for discussion purpose only and should be confirmed by an independent source.


sorry but you can. I have bought at HD I believe.:thumbsup:

Second if the heads are popping off and you are using the correct screws for the application, then you are tightening them too much.:yes:

Shoot, I use an impact driver and I can't remember the last time I had a screw head pop off.:whistling2:

Hardway 02-26-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by framer52 (Post 863700)
sorry but you can. I have bought at HD I believe.:thumbsup:

Second if the heads are popping off and you are using the correct screws for the application, then you are tightening them too much.:yes:

Shoot, I use an impact driver and I can't remember the last time I had a screw head pop off.:whistling2:

well there ya go, i stand corrected!

rowdruner 02-26-2012 11:35 AM

Thanks all! As always, great dialogue on the topic :) No squeaks in my floor. I'm actually surprised because it's a total cookie cutter house and a lot of corners were cut.

Honestly, I didn't know people pull laminate after a few years. Something to keep in mind. And I'm guessing "box store" refers to home depot or lowes? That's the only hardware place I know of! In such an amature, but slowly learning thanks to you all!

rusty baker 02-26-2012 12:08 PM

In my experience, carpet, laminate, vinyl planks and IVC type vinyls, all have a lifespan of 5-7 years. Engineered wood maybe 10 years. Ceramic 25 or more. Hardwood, 100 years or more. And yes, Lowes, HD, Menards, etc, are big box stores.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 PM.


Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved