Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #1

Share |

screen porch tile CDX subflooring

I live in North Carolina. I just had a new screen porch installed. I had planned to tile the floor myself. The contractor installed 3/4" CDX plywood sub-flooring. The room is about 14' X 16' with 16" on center joists. The porch is about 7 feet off the ground.

Because of the rain coming into the screen porch, how should I go about tiling the floor?
sarusalvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarusalvi
I live in North Carolina. I just had a new screen porch installed. I had planned to tile the floor myself. The contractor installed 3/4" CDX plywood sub-flooring. The room is about 14' X 16' with 16" on center joists. The porch is about 7 feet off the ground.

Because of the rain coming into the screen porch, how should I go about tiling the floor?
You would want to put 1/2" B/C sanded or A/C ply over the cdx, ditra mat then tile. Or if you have the hight for 1/4" cbu board then use that.
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:35 AM   #3

Thank you for your reply. Could you tell me what B/C, A/C is and also CBU board?

I have read about ditra so understand that. The Home Depot person told me to put 1/4" hardy board down and then the detra. Is that an option?

I've done many DIY projects but have never worked with mortar before. Is it hard?
Old 08-26-2012, 06:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarusalvi
Thank you for your reply. Could you tell me what B/C, A/C is and also CBU board?

I have read about ditra so understand that. The Home Depot person told me to put 1/4" hardy board down and then the detra. Is that an option?

I've done many DIY projects but have never worked with mortar before. Is it hard?
Hardy backer board is cbu cement board and only use 1/4" for floors but you do not use both cement board and ditra it's either one or the other if you can't afford the hight of the ply and cbu then you use ditra instead of cbu.

B/C sanded, or A/C is a Types of plywood that is used with thinset and tiling and does not have voids like CDX have.

Hardy backer holds no structure for subfloor it's just a filler/ bond to hold your tile down as the same with ditra which can be water proof if water passes the tile. Both are placed over thinset bed which is over the correct plywood.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:08 AM   #5
DIY staff

Post a picture of the bottom of the structure----there might be a problem with 'deflection' (movement) with that floor framing---

The flexing could cause a situation where the floor flexes and cracks your new tile.

Also--I do suggest a water proof deck like Ditra---but you might need to keep water away from your decking by running the Ditra up the walls like a flashing, in order to keep the wood edges of the plywood dry.
JetSwet (08-26-2012)
Old 08-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #6

Using tile for a screened porch, Hmm.
A big concern to me would be how's it suppost to drain?
If the walls are tight to the decking then you now will have a pond. The longer water sits on the tile the better chance it has of leaking down to the plywood.

Did this guy know you planed on using tile for flooring?
If so he should have used wider floor joist then called for on a reguler deck, and I never would have used CDX as a subfloor, I would have used Advantec instead, more stable, no voids, and way more water resistant.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #7

I think the real question is what's under the deck/ porch is the cdx exposed? To out side. Sounds to me like the cdx was put down to tile over

Actual windows should be put in, since the roof ledge is apparently not out far enough.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #8

Or even sliding glass doors.
A picture sure would be nice.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSwet View Post
Hardy backer board is cbu cement board and only use 1/4" for floors but you do not use both cement board and ditra it's either one or the other if you can't afford the hight of the ply and cbu then you use ditra instead of cbu.

B/C sanded, or A/C is a Types of plywood that is used with thinset and tiling and does not have voids like CDX have.

Hardy backer holds no structure for subfloor it's just a filler/ bond to hold your tile down as the same with ditra which can be water proof if water passes the tile. Both are placed over thinset bed which is over the correct plywood.

Here are the pictures of the deck, underside and outside and inside. Yes the CDX was used because I said I wanted to tile the flooring. The screen walls are laid on top of the CDX boarding.

If I can't tile what should I do to finish the floor?

The roof ledge is pretty far out. When it has poured recently, very little moisture got inside. I was just concerned about blowing rain and the moisture.
Attached Thumbnails
screen porch tile CDX subflooring-dscf2129.jpg   screen porch tile CDX subflooring-dscf2128.jpg   screen porch tile CDX subflooring-dscf2130.jpg   screen porch tile CDX subflooring-dscf2131.jpg   screen porch tile CDX subflooring-dscf2121.jpg  

Old 08-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #10
Tileguy

Hi everyone,

#1, He should not have used CDX grade, but ok. Is is t&g? Do you have planks on the joists and then the ply? Are those 2x6 joists? What is the longest span of those joists? Start there.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Hi everyone,

#1, He should not have used CDX grade, but ok. Is is t&g? Do you have planks on the joists and then the ply? Are those 2x6 joists? What is the longest span of those joists? Start there.

Jaz

They are not t7g but the joists are 2X6. There are no planks on the joints. They removed the original planks when they added to the original 2' X 14' deck. So now the joists are 12' long with the added support as shown in the pictures adding 2' to the length and width.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #12

Looks like the planks are from the deck adjacent to the porch. OP needs to seal up the underneath before mold happens.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #13
Tileguy

Salvi,

OK, so the joists are 2x6, are they kiln dried lumber, or are they pressure treated lumber? What is the longest unsupported span? Need to know down to the inch.

You said;
Quote:
So now the joists are 12' long with the added support as shown in the pictures adding 2' to the length and width.
That may make sense to you, but not me. I'm here not there.

Also tell me how much slope there is to the deck and how is the water gonna exit, perhaps from another side?

Everyone's suggestion have come close to what you will need to do IF we find the joists to be stiff enough for the span. But no one has it right yet.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #14

Salvi is good on the 3 pier beams as shown in photo underneath the porch and the ledger on the house the only question would be if 2x6 as joists would work? Seams iffy to me... Maybe put cats between the 2x6.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #15

Jazz make sure to factor in how low that door threshold is, the fact that now the walls are forming a dam with no drain when figuring this out for them.

Tags
exterior flooring, tile over cdx