Schluter Ditra Installation Question - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2010, 07:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Schluter Ditra installation question

OK,

Got a bathroom we're working on. We installed a radiant floor heating system which is covered by a layer of mortar. My father tried to level the rest of the floor with hand troweled mortar; he did a decent job but the floor still has some valleys and high spots and is far from a smooth surface. He's convinced we can level it with mortar as we go through with the installation of the ditra. i'm concerned that attempting to level it durring the ditra installation will result in less than satisfactory results... My idea is to use a thin layer of self leveling concrete to fill in and level this in preparation for the ditra... He's concerened this will build up the floor too much as we're trying to avoid a drastic transition between rooms...

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

Advertisement

epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,238

Hi Epsilon,

SLC is the way to go. It'l only raise the floor a bit higher than the peaks. Remember to follow directions and that it does not really just level its self, it needs a little help.

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

That's what i was thinking... Dad's smart and all but stubborn as hell when he gets somthing in his head... not that i'm that way
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,238

Of course..........

His way will not work so good. It's impossible to know exactly where and how much extra thin set you'd need. Plus you have to "beat" or push the Ditra into the mortar as you lay it not to mention walking on it, which would make a real mess. You have to do any flattening of the floor first, especially with a membrane.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote