Sanding Short Width Planks - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-25-2009, 11:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Sanding Short Width Planks

I have an old house with very think planks planks. They are probably 2" in width at most. They are all bowed with lowest point being in the middle. I'm using a vibrating sander like the ones that can be rented from home depot with a 18x24 sanding pad. Its not able to get in the low points of the wood in several places. I usually use a hand sander for this case, but the problem is on just about every board.

I don't want to use a drum sander or something that will take off a lot of wood. I looking under the vent cover and the finished wood floor is on subfloor and its very think (probably 1/2" at most). I'm worried about sanding into the tongue and grooves of the wood.

Is there something better than a vibrating sander?

Here is something similar ot what I'm using but not the same model.

http://homerenovations.about.com/od/...orsander_2.htm

Advertisement

jonathan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:43 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,022

If what you are using isn't hitting the low spots there are only two options IMO:
1. Sand the floor down the the low spots; I doubt you would hit the tongue with 3/4" thick flooring. How much lower are these areas than the areas your sander hits?
2. Hand sand the low spots.
I would drum sand the whole floor unless you want some certain look of uneveness.

Advertisement

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:22 AM   #3
msv
Hardwood pro

it sounds to me like your floor is warped....(/cupped/crowned, etc).. The only way to level it again is to use a drum sander and cut the floor at an angle.... that will take the high spots(edges of each board in your case) off.. you can only level the floor to the lowest spot, right? that means that all the areas that are higher will need to be sanded down... drum sander will do that for you. first cut in a diagonal, next ones going with the grain/direction of installation.
Good Luck...
Old 12-27-2009, 01:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv View Post
it sounds to me like your floor is warped....(/cupped/crowned, etc).. The only way to level it again is to use a drum sander and cut the floor at an angle.... that will take the high spots(edges of each board in your case) off.. you can only level the floor to the lowest spot, right? that means that all the areas that are higher will need to be sanded down... drum sander will do that for you. first cut in a diagonal, next ones going with the grain/direction of installation.
Good Luck...
Pretty sound advice right there.

Why is the flooring cupped? Have you solved the problems that caused the cupping? Wet crawl space, water leak, unheated house? Etc. There's always a reason flooring doesn't remain flat.
pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:10 AM   #5

I ended up using the drum sander before I read your post. I went perpendicular to the grain of the wood and stopped when the low areas were sanded. It came out good and I didn't run into the tongue and groove as I was worried about.

I have a finished layer that is only 1/2" thick at best and s subfloor that is 3/4", There is only 1/8" or less before the tongue and groove starts on the finished floor. Luickinly the drum didn't go that far deep.

I'm not sure why the floors are like that. The basement below is musty since the stone foundation leaks when it rains hard. The house was built in 1863 and was moved to where it is now from a few streets down the road. There is some termite damage but I believe its only in the back of the house, and not under these two rooms with the wood floors. Additionally, the house has been bank owned before I bought it and went through the winter with no heat.
jonathan03 is offline   Reply With Quote