Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sanded Grout coming off causing gritty floor

We installed the kitchen tile floor and used a mixed-in sealer vs water (we have 5 pets and a child). The color of the grout did not come out to our liking (or anything like the sample stick). So, a friend indicated he could grout over with an appropriate color. Now, it seems that additional layer is slowing coming off. The floor is gritty after a good vacuuming (we let the grout set for 2-3 days) and sweeping. These are 20" tiles with 3/32 grout lines so sanded grout was used. Approximate sq. footage is 380.

Afraid this is going to be an ongoing issue and trying to avoid removing all grout and re-doing the job.....

Any advice? We have not put an additional sealant on yet. Debating using a grout color sealant to ensure color stays.

Thanks!

ncbeanhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I'm not an expert but all the "grout overs" I've seen don't stick and will eventually come out. To do it right the grout needs to come out, unless someone else has a way to make grout stick to grout. But the problem is that the original grout fills the whole space, so when you grout over the original grout you are only leaving a small layer which will chip and come out. Pretty sure to do it right all the grout will have to come out.

ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,230

I agree 100%
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the replies. As I surmised. We had friend help us and tried to stop him when only a portion was completed b/c we could tell (even wet) that the grout was too red. But he assured us when it dried it would be ok and if not, grout would stick to grout, and we could go over it with another color. Hard lesson learned b/c removing grout will be a nightmare. And, with a sealant mixed in, I imagine it will be very difficult to go over it with a colored sealant.

Thanks, Guys.
ncbeanhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,230

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbeanhead View Post
Thanks for the replies. As I surmised. We had friend help us and tried to stop him when only a portion was completed b/c we could tell (even wet) that the grout was too red. But he assured us when it dried it would be ok and if not, grout would stick to grout, and we could go over it with another color. Hard lesson learned b/c removing grout will be a nightmare. And, with a sealant mixed in, I imagine it will be very difficult to go over it with a colored sealant.

Thanks, Guys.
It may not not be as bad as you are expecting it to be they have some new tools that make it a lot easier. At Lowes they have a Rockwell multi tool for(if I remember right around $100 or maybe $150) it comes with an attachment for removing grout. If you have a recip. saw a company called shark make a blade that is for grout (have never used, can't tell you about it.) I'm sure there are others
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

ncbeanhead,

Sorry to hear of your problem. As you know, we do not grout over grout. Just doesn't work. If the original grout was done well, you should have been able to apply a grout colorant, most likely. Is the 2nd layer of grout coming off completely, what if you rubbed it off with one of those 3M scrubbing pads?

You said the grout was mixed with a sealer. Are you sure it wasn't a polymer additive instead? I doubt it was a sealer. Tell me exactly which grout and what this "sealer" is. Need specific names.

Also in the likely event you'll have to remove the old grout, be aware that the grout removal attachment that I've seen is 1/8". You said the grout lines are 3/32", not good. The best multi-tool is probably the Fein, but it costs lots of $$$ if you're not into many DIY projects. Also consider the Craftsman multi tool from Sears. I think I paid about $79 for the basic kit and got reward point too. Here it is now for $72. http://www.sears.com/craftsman-2.0-a...-00923465000P?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.

Last edited by JazMan; 10-02-2012 at 09:24 PM.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grout, grout stain, sanded grout