Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2011, 10:49 PM   #1

Share |

Sand and finish small sections while living/working?

Hi I am wondering if you would recommend sanding/finishing small areas (3-5') at a time while I live and work in my house. I've been taking care of my mom who has a disease and it would be hard to move the furniture out etc for a solid week to have a professional crew in the house. I was staying at a hotel in San Diego and I noticed they had a crew working on their wood floors and they did small areas so the sanding/finish didn't bother the guests. I know it would not come out as perfectly, but it would be better than it is. (in my mind, that is)

This is a mid 50's house not high end and in my opinion the wood floor was just a base for the carpet that was in the house. I think it's oak but not sure I can see there are some areas with termite damage and nail holes. I have read that sanding by hand would be a pain/take forever, but the real sander seems like too much dust which is a nightmare as you know. Thanks very much for your opinons, alternatively I was thinking about a laminate floor but we have a stupid floor heater and not sure how that would fit.

Last edited by dfphoto; 01-17-2011 at 10:51 PM.
dfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:19 AM   #2

No problem sanding so long as the sawdust doesn't float into the air and/or get all over the furniture and knickknacks.

You cannot do finishing unless you have adequate ventilation. Doing the work in winter is not recommended. (Would you leave windows open for long periods of time?)
Old 01-18-2011, 10:26 AM   #3

Hi in my mind I was going to have my shop vac running as I sand (hand sander) and put my humidifier on to knock down the particles. this is another reason i was thinking of doing a small area. I'm in LA and today it's 75 so I think the temp. shouldn't be a big deal but another reason why I was going to do a small area at one time.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:33 AM   #4
Experienced

Sanding has one set of circumstances, which can be managed, however, staining and top coating is not managable with the windows closed, you must have good ventilation when coatings are applied.

As a note I would recommend to go out and rent a drum sander with a vacuum system and get it all done in a day or two.

But I don't think you should do the finish work until you can open all the windows.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:40 AM   #5

Hi Jacofall1, I can open the windows as I mentioned it's 75 today and from here out basic temp. around here 60-75 during the day I live by the beach in LA. if I was to rent a drum I'd have to move all the furniture around and I don't think it's possible for me to do this unless I had the sander for a 2 weeks. I haven't checked into this but I think they cost 50-75 a day.

When I saw the people doing this in San Diego in the hotel they didn't open any windows but they did 3-5' at a time of course it was the lobby.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
Experienced

Well all I can to that is try it, see what happens, I know the finishes really have strong odors, as for hand sanding, I think you are going to have a hard time with a consistant looking finish, but you gots to do, what you gots to do.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #7

you are going to have one wavy floor with a hand sander .
Floor Doc is offline   Reply With Quote