Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Sagging floor in brownstone apt building

Hi, my daughter is purchasing an apt in Brooklyn NY. Which has a significant sag in the floor. It was found that the building had a problem but it has been resolved. The sag is about 8" off level on the interior wall side where the entry door is. Any suggestions for repair. Apt is 12 wide by 48

kapry13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 34

That far off something some thing major would have had to happen.
No way would I even make an offer on it until I had a real engineer look it over.
Some ting like that can get real expensive quick.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
Retired & Not Likin' It

If the sale is done and the underlying problem has been solved, then I would be looking at tearing up all the flooring down to the joist system. I might sister new joists in place to bring the floor back to as level as possible. This would also allow the opportunity to correct or address any plumbing, electrical, HVAC issues in the floor, add the best sound proofing insulation and install a good subfloor that will additionally strengthen the floor. At that point, you could install just about any kind of flooring with very little worry.

I agree that a structural engineer could be very helpful in recommending and planning the necessary modifications.

Jim
Jim McClain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 34

All good suggestions by Jim but all very expensive and near impossible to live in the house while it's all going on.
To figure out pricing in NY I would figure out what it would cost to do it here and multiply by 4. Then figure on months to get through all the red tape and have to deal with the unions.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #5
Retired & Not Likin' It

Cost and convenience are subjective. The OP didn't preface their post with income/ability/scheduling constraints. I just tried to provide good information and not inject my fears and expectations (or lack thereof) into the mix.

Jim
Jim McClain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim McClain For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-03-2013)
Old 09-03-2013, 06:45 AM   #6

Hi, thanks for the advice, although I am concerned about the floor, it will not be a fatal issue killing the sale. That is not my decision. It seems like the sagging floor is very common to these buildings and we have asked for information about the resolution. I think we will have to decide how best to proceed as I sacred with both of you that it can be expensive and also how to repair. May just leave it alone in the final analysis, although that goes against my grain. Thanks again

kapry13 is offline   Reply With Quote