Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Rusted i-beam supports under sructural wood floor

Hello, on inspection of a house we may buy the inspector pointed out the 3-4 I-beam supports under the basement structural wood floor are rusted and flaking. A 6 X 6 wood support was installed next to the steel monopost for added support. It is resting on wood blocks with evidence of moisture deterioration. He felt this was caused because there is no appropriate ventelation system. We are going to request the sellers repair this at their costs but I also have a few questions.

1. Roughly how much is this type of repair?
2. Should this finding discourage purchasing this house? Meaning once fixed should all be okay long term? I should mention that walls are straight.
3. Can this be done by non-professionals?

Thanks!
Attached Images

twigs_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:20 AM   #2
Architectural Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twigs_22 View Post
Hello, on inspection of a house we may buy the inspector pointed out the 3-4 I-beam supports under the basement structural wood floor are rusted and flaking. A 6 X 6 wood support was installed next to the steel monopost for added support. It is resting on wood blocks with evidence of moisture deterioration. He felt this was caused because there is no appropriate ventelation system. We are going to request the sellers repair this at their costs but I also have a few questions.

1. Roughly how much is this type of repair?
2. Should this finding discourage purchasing this house? Meaning once fixed should all be okay long term? I should mention that walls are straight.
3. Can this be done by non-professionals?

Thanks!

Those rusting supports in one picture look like nothing more than one of those jack posts they sell at Menards, but cut to a foot high, from what I see there's nothing to "repair",if you want to go cheap just replace that jack with a new one that's primed well, toss the old one out and get some ventilation.

The wood is resting on what appears to be bare ground is mainly why it's going bad.
I had a similar deal under my porch and the deck planks had end rot since they were just plain pine, I fixed it by digging down a foot and pouring an 18" square 6" thick concrete pad, and then building up concrete block to the height of the underside of where the new supports were going.
I put in about 6 or 8 of those in place of the 6 or 8 chunks of wood and other junk they had under there before.

Something like that might be a better way to go than a silly temporary jack post, but a bit more work. Since I work with concrete a lot it's no big deal to get the electric mixer out and mix up a few wheelbarrows for small projects.
If the sellers have it done, chances are it will go the cheapest route- another floor jack and a couple of new wood blocks and it's done, if it was my house I'd rather have it fixed right the first time, and to me that would be a concrete pad, and two concrete blocks set side by side on it mortard in and filled with concrete, topped by something as a moisture barrier like an sheet aluminum cap or a square of aluminum, and then whatever shims are needed to fill the gap to the underside of the I beam. Since I can get pieces of scrap steel plate up to 1/2" thick I would be using that to fill the gap.

I don't know what it would cost to have someone else do that, it would take a few hours work over a couple of days, plus materials, and no one is going to come out twice for $100 or $200, chances are it would be quite a bit more.

I don't see this as a deal breaker on the house, I do see that jack post as little more than a temporary fix.

Last edited by RWolff; 04-22-2013 at 09:43 PM.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:21 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 34

How old is this house?
Happen to be a moduler?
Reason I'm asking is it's rare to see a steel beam like that under a house, just judging by those two two pictures whoever installed that beam had no clue how to do it right.
Makes me think it was a DIY attempted fix to some other problums that where happening, such as the floor was sagging or bouncing.

Depending on soil conditions that footing your post are sitting on should have been 8" thick, and 24 X 24".
The top of the footing should have been slightly above grade.
I would have used steel, concrete filled tubes with welded steel bases to spread out the load and give you an attachment point.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #4

Thanks for the input. The house is 20yrs old and in Colorado, not modular.
twigs_22 is offline   Reply With Quote