Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2010, 09:27 AM   #1

Share |

Rough floor...

I installed Backer Board, taped joints, covered with thinset mortar. After drying overnight I can feel the floor is rough in spots where there may have been too much mortar down. I was under the assumption the floor had to be smooth before laying tile, or once I start spreadind mortar for the tile, this wont be an issue. Any suggestions????

mablack1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rough floor...

You may have done them (?), but you left out a few steps in your description of how you installed the backer.

Did you spread thin set under the boards? Then immediately fastened? Then applied thin set and taped all the seams?

If you did that and the floor is not flat, it means the floor was not flat in the beginning, you should have checked and fixed it then. However, if everything else was done right, you can still make the floor flat enough for tile. You'll need to evaluate the floor and pour a self leveling compound over the entire floor or as necessary.

Get a long straight edge and check how much out of flat it is. It should be within 1/4" in 10 ft. and within 1/16" in 12" of plane. If the tiles are large and or smooth and shiny, the floor should be even flatter.

Tell us what you find along with info about the tile.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:05 PM   #3

Rough floor...

Yes I did all the steps you mentioned, except after nailing down, I taped the joints THEN covered tape with mortar. The floor is flat, just when the mortar over the joints hardened, it was not a smooth finish. rough in a few spots. Will this matter once i lay the thinset for the tiles, or should the entire floor be smooth? If so, how would you fix my imperfections?
mablack1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rough floor...

The tiles don't care about "rough", but since tiles do not bend, the floor needs to be flat. Flat and rough are two different things. What happens when you place a straight edge on the areas? If the straight edge rocks, the floor is not flat. If the difference is less than 1/4" in a span of 10 ft., you should be OK.

If the problem is just a "speed bump" at the seams, either sand them down or remove the fiberglass mesh and start over. Once flat, install the mesh tape as you install the tiles so there won't be any speed bumps.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote