Rotted Subfloor & Joists Under Bathtub - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Rotted Subfloor & Joists under bathtub

Does the bathtub need to be removed to replace the subfloor and joists?
I believe the layers are: tub, then concrete and chicken wire, then subfloor, then joists?

Advertisement

operancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 506

If you need to replace the floor area which the tub sits on then yes remove the tub so you remove the damaged area. Please provide pictures so we can better assist you.

Advertisement

epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #3

I will take the pictures tomorrow. My crawl space is well lit. Hopefully I will get good pics. Our rancher is 37 years old and well built. Thank you, Epson
Old 07-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 506

Your welcome we are all here to help when it is needed.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #5
Haverhill Trade 1965

Rewards Points: 500

Isn't anyone else not OK with the chicken wire. Is it in the concrete or under it? What is this concrete doing?
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #6
mike owes me $53 dollars

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckweather
Isn't anyone else not OK with the chicken wire. Is it in the concrete or under it? What is this concrete doing?
Its common for certain tubs to be set in a bed of mortar which keeps it from creeking against the sub floor. I've also seen the lathe which is nailed to the subfloor before concrete but doesn't provide much of anything but extra material for that application.

Todd
www.aloneeagle.com
Tech Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
Haverhill Trade 1965

I have seen most everything used to support the bottom of many fiberglass tub/showers, but never saw one needing concrete with reinforcing wire. Most didn't have room for the crushed stone in the bagged mix.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #8

Epson, I am so glad I went under the house at your suggestion. The damage is worse then I remember. Who do I contact to correct this situation? What contractors do I need? The tub is cast iron and the surround is tile of the 70s. Good grief. 1. plumber to disconnect plumbing 2. remove tub 3. fix floor and joists 4. insert new tub 5 plumber to attach drains and fixture 6. tile guy.
I really do not want to damage much of the tile and I do not want to gut the bathroom. What expert advice can you share?
I discovered I had a problem with the blue bath ( main bath) when my kitchen floor raised up . I went under the house and discovered a separated drain from the washing machine and kitchen sink...all the joists were moldy and the insulation was hanging down...Pulled out insultation, dried out the area and did a soda blast. I did crawl space inspections regularly...once the insulation was gone, I saw the rot under the tub in the blue bath ...then I noticed the rot under the master bath....I gutted it and have a beautiful new bathroom..spent more then the estimate....also I had all the copper replaced with PVC...The plumber and tile man replaced the joist and then supported it with a post. He tried to help me. It is obvious that joist needs to be corrected too..Woe is me...Pictures will not upload...The pictures show a gapping hole in the subfloor.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
Pro

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by operancher
Does the bathtub need to be removed to replace the subfloor and joists?
I believe the layers are: tub, then concrete and chicken wire, then subfloor, then joists?
Repair joists then cat them under the tub, sister to level subfloor, then your plywood which is your subfloor then tub, then cement board if your tiling your not floating the floor so... no for the concrete and wire that's silly to do it that way.
JetSwet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #10
Haverhill Trade 1965

Since I have never heard of concrete under a cast iron tub I have to wonder what may have caused it to be used. Assuming a cast iron tub 5' long, (not a claw foot), when you reinstall it, we used to install a ledger on the 3 walls to support the weight with the walls too. A lot of the old tubs used to have almost chisel like legs, so we put some hardwood shims under them to keep them from working into the subfloor. If the tub settles a crack appears between the tub and tile, and leaks start. The ledger prevented this.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #11
Pro

Rewards Points: 502

When I install the ledger it's only on the back wall. You measure and level this way when you put the tub in its then level cuz the ledger.
It's to prevent the tub from moving kicking out.

Advertisement

JetSwet is online now   Reply With Quote