Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2009, 09:01 AM   #1

Share |

Rosin paper or 15# felt?

I will soon be laying a 5/16" thick and 3 1/8" wide solid brazilan cherry hardwood floor in our living room, foyer and hallway over 3/4" plywood subfloor. What is best to use under the hardwood - rosin paper or 15# roofing felt and why? Thanks for your input.

Duane 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:53 AM   #2

Rosin paper or 15# felt?

Rosin paper.
Tar paper or felt can give off an oder. No need to make your living room smell like a blacktop parking lot in August.
Of course this is more of a problem if you have in floor heat.
Rosin paper is the industry standard though.

ArmchairDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #3

Rosin paper or 15# felt?

Roofing felt is sticky whereas Rosin Paper has a very smooth surface. Your wood floor will need to slide ever so slightly on the subfloor to avoid squeaks, the smooth Rosin Paper will allow this movement.

Roofing felt will give you a lifetime of floor squeaks.
MI-Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:48 PM   #4

Rosin paper or 15# felt?

The rules I go by are craft paper if the floor is over a basement & felt paper over a crawl space. No need for a moisture barrier over a basement, but necessary over a crawl space where hot & cold meet & can cause condensation.
pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:09 PM   #5

Rosin paper or 15# felt?

Rosin is like your funny papers, except with a red dye not multicolored. If any moisture is below as over a crawl space or laundry , bathroom, etc., you need the vapor retarder that rosin does not have. This is Aquabar-B by Fortifiber at HD: http://www.contractortalk.com/f10/wh...uabar-b-57218/ http://www.fortifiber.com/aquabar_b.html

NO red rosin paper allowed per manufacturer; http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...2R_E90aeJSkd7Q

Be safe, Gary
MurphyMan (12-31-2011)
Old 10-22-2009, 03:00 PM   #6

Rosin paper or 15# felt?

OK, so the replies so far are 2 recommend rosin paper and 2 recommend 15# felt. Now what??? Does the felt give off an odor after being laid? Of the replies so far, are any from experienced hardwood floor laying folks? Thanks again everybody for your time and replies on this matter. After looking at many websites, it seems to be split about 50/50 on whether to use rosin paper or felt over a crawl space. So I still don't which to purchase. I will be laying BR-111 5/16" thick solid wood, 3 1/8" wide. I just don't want to make a mistake.
Duane 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:26 PM   #7

Rosin paper or 15# felt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane 70 View Post
OK, so the replies so far are 2 recommend rosin paper and 2 recommend 15# felt. Now what??? Does the felt give off an odor after being laid? Of the replies so far, are any from experienced hardwood floor laying folks? Thanks again everybody for your time and replies on this matter. After looking at many websites, it seems to be split about 50/50 on whether to use rosin paper or felt over a crawl space. So I still don't which to purchase. I will be laying BR-111 5/16" thick solid wood, 3 1/8" wide. I just don't want to make a mistake.

I make my living laying hardwood & have for the last 15 years. If you've got a crawl space, use the felt paper. You need the moisture barrier to prevent condensation leaching into your flooring. Anytime you have hot air meeting cold air, you're going to get condensation. Don't worry about the odor, it really won't be a factor.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:20 AM   #8

Rosin paper or 15# felt?

I guess these folks Hardwood Manufacturers Association know something and their advice:
http://www.hardwoodinfo.com/display_article.asp?ID=300
bob22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #9

Rosin paper or 15# felt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
I guess these folks Hardwood Manufacturers Association know something and their advice:
http://www.hardwoodinfo.com/display_article.asp?ID=300

Maybe I misunderstood the original poster, but I thought he was laying over a crawlspace & not on a slab.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:29 AM   #10

Rosin paper or 15# felt?

If you were installing the flooring on a second floor, would felt paper be a better choice for it's sound insulation if I wanted to reduce noise on the first floor?

Last edited by CaptChaos; 11-01-2009 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Fixed Typo
CaptChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:15 PM   #11

Rosin paper or 15# felt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptChaos View Post
If you were installing the flooring on a second floor, would felt paper be a better choice for it's sound insulation if I wanted to reduce noise on the first floor?

If you want to reduce sound, spend the extra 50 cents a food & buy quiet walk & install under the hardwood. It does make a considerable difference.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:55 PM   #12

Rosin paper or 15# felt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel45 View Post
If you want to reduce sound, spend the extra 50 cents a food & buy quiet walk & install under the hardwood. It does make a considerable difference.
Wow, great -- never heard of this stuff before. Is this what you mean?

http://www.efloors.com/product/883/1...00-sf-roll.htm

Do you lay this in addition to rosin\felt or in stead of it?

Thanks!
-Cap'n
CaptChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:19 PM   #13

Rosin paper or 15# felt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptChaos View Post
Wow, great -- never heard of this stuff before. Is this what you mean?

http://www.efloors.com/product/883/1...00-sf-roll.htm

Do you lay this in addition to rosin\felt or in stead of it?

Thanks!
-Cap'n
That's it. No other underlayment needed.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:31 PM   #14

Rosin paper or 15# felt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel45 View Post
I make my living laying hardwood & have for the last 15 years. If you've got a crawl space, use the felt paper. You need the moisture barrier to prevent condensation leaching into your flooring. Anytime you have hot air meeting cold air, you're going to get condensation. Don't worry about the odor, it really won't be a factor.

I have bamboo in two rooms, both over a crawlspace. We had the one room done by professionals, and I did the other. The professionals used craft paper, and I used 30# felt.

I never smelled the felt, other than when it was exposed to the room (before putting down the flooring). I went with the felt in part because the subfloor wasn't totally flat.

Several years later I can see that what the professionals put down is cupping a bit, but mine still looks new. Mine is quieter to walk on. Neither has any squeaks. The cupping isn't a problem -- much less than a mm., but I can see it when the light hits it at an angle. fwiw, the house is wetter under the part that has my work in it.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:15 PM   #15

Rosin paper or 15# felt?

I didn't intend to cause any confusion, but tar paper (roofing felt) only would causes an oder issue if you have under floor heating. And even then it may not.
I threw that in my original post because I wanted everyone to be aware that it could possibly be an issue.

Time to Get Up Out of Your Chair and Do it Yourself! ArmchairDIY.com
ArmchairDIY is offline   Reply With Quote