DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Rookie DIY'er: Kitchen Floor Project

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  FixitDragon 
#1 ·
I'm a very green DIY'er who is going to attempt at redoing my kitchen floor. I have done some tile installation in the past, so I understand the general process and principles. What makes this job somewhat intimidating is the kitchen floor itself (as it is now). Currently there is the subfloor, a layer of plywood, some linoleum flooring (original to the house) I think, another layer of plywood, and the tile on top of it. Due to the added layers there is a height transition of about 3/4 of an inch between the connecting floors. Also, the kitchen cabinets are installed on top of the tile, along with the island in the kitchen. I do not want to move the cabinets, so here is my plan.

1. Disconnect dishwasher/stove
2. Remove island (unscrew it)
3. Prep the cabinet bases with a couple layers of painters tape to prevent scratching.
4. Use a dremel saw (or something similar) to cut away at the tile around the cabinets.
5. Break off the tile using a mason's chisel, and or a sledge hammer/canvas tarp to control the breakage.
6. Use the saw again to cut out the plywood around the cabinets.
7. Pry plywood out (it appears to be nailed in)
8. Assuming there is a linoleum floor, apply durarock/backerboard w/e to the original floor using thinset and galvanized screws (whatever the ones are that dont rust).
9. Apply a fiberglass tape to the joints in the new base flooring, and then seal them up.

Then I get to applying my tile. That part im confident in.

Based on the steps I described is there something I am missing or shouldn't do?

Any advice, or feedback, you have would be great.

See less See more
#2 ·
If this were me, I'd just take out the base cabinets along with the island. You're going to be spending a LOT of time trying to cut the tile and subfloor away from the cabinets and do a perfect job. If you don't do a perfect job, the new plywood and new tile won't butt up to the cabinets correctly and it will look terrible. Plus, will the height of the new flooring precisely match the old? I think you're looking at a nightmare.

But I'm not an expert, and this is just IMO.

#3 · (Edited)
I respectfully disagree with Old Spouse, removing base cabinates would also involve removing the counter top and possibly backsplash, most likely in little pieces. This would be labor intensive and very costly. (My Black Galaxy granite would break if I tried to pull it and would cost 3K to replace!)

This is precisely what they make base shoe for! Once the tile is in, get some 3/4" quarter round or similar, paint or stain it to match, and install over the gap between the base cabinet toe kick and tile. Same as what is done for flooring in a room, there is base covering the gap between the floor and drywall.

Sounds like you have a good plan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.