Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2007, 01:02 PM   #1

Share |
Question

roofing tar on basement concrete floor?

I scanned the previous posts about removing tile adhesive/cutback, and am wondering whether the advice would be much different for what I think I have. I pulled up a plywood subfloor in my basement and found (moldy) tar paper underneath, and the concrete covered in shiny, brittle, black tar-stuff. It wasn't used as an adhesive, so I'm thinking he used roofing tar as waterproofing. Whatever it was didn't work, obviously.

I really didn't want to put another subfloor down, just clean up and paint the concrete floor. But I need to figure out how to deal with this tar-stuff. Melt it, scrape it, disolve it? Cover it with self-leveling concrete & hope that adheres? Give up & put down a new subfloor? Give up and learn to like blue plastic tarp flooring?

thanks!

bluebee1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 02:20 PM   #2

The only problem with asphalt products is that it's very difficult to get anything to stick to them other than more asphalt. We've dealt with it on asphalt roof coatings before. Usually after it's weathered a few years we can coat the roof with an acrylic DTM and it'll stick fine. Oils will peel. So at the very least you'd want to go with an acrylic floor coating. Even then you'd have to some how strip the floor. Soda or sand blasting is probably the most thorough option though certainly not the easiest.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:13 PM   #3
Firefighter/Paramedic

You can use a scarifier to shave the surface down. The rental is about $90 a day.
tyler101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:19 PM   #4

Thanks, guys! Based on what you've said, and on what I think I can do (and tolerate), I'll clean it up as best I can then put something like dricore over it. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.
bluebee1314 is offline   Reply With Quote