Ripped Up Wet Carpet - Want To Recycle (not Reuse) - Where? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2011, 10:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Ripped up wet carpet - want to recycle (not reuse) - where?

Hello All

After hurricane Irene, I had some flooding in my basement. As a result, I decided to rip up the old (really old) carpet. I am going to rent a dumpster to clean out the rest of the stuff, but I would rather recycle the carpet.

I did some googling, but all I can find are sites/companies that want to reuse the carpet. This carpet is not suitable for reuse.

Does anybody have any resources (websites or contacts) regarding carpet recycling in the NYC area (specifically Pelham, NY).

Advertisement

kuj0317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,324

I don't think anyone recycles it anymore. The EPA stopped the only one I knew of, and it was in California.

Advertisement

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25
Thumbs down

I found a place that said they would "accept" the carpet for $50. They are located on Long Island and do not have any other dropoff locations.

Between their fee, the time, and the costs of fuel and tolls, I cannot justify it. Looks like its going in the dumpster.

-K
kuj0317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Hi -

I work at a carpet recycling company in California. There is a vital and rapidly-expanding carpet recycling industry in the U.S. including a nationwide-carpet stewardship organization called Carpet America Recovery Effort (CARE). On their website www.carpetrecovery.org you can find your local carpet recycling company.

Most carpet recycling is done by the installers of the new carpet. When you buy new carpet make sure your seller will be recycling your old carpet. But most recyclers do allow drop offs too. With this particular case you may have a problem as it is difficult to recycle wet carpet.

If anyone is in California, we'd be happy to recycle your carpet. You can learn more about us and carpet recycling at our website www.TheCarpetRecyclers.com which includes a new video about carpet recycling and our new state-of-the-art facility.

Hope this helped. It's very important to recycle carpet. Not only are you keeping material out of landfills, you're also saving oil and reducing greenhouse gases. Gail Brice

Last edited by gailbrice; 08-29-2011 at 03:43 PM. Reason: grammer
gailbrice is offline   Reply With Quote