Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2012, 11:51 PM   #1

Share |

Ripped out carpet, found big cracks... What now?

I couldn't live on dirty carpet for one more day, so while my husband was at work I ripped carpet from our 500 sq ft living room. I thought I'd throw down some cheap peel and stick tiles and everything would be fine, but now I have found some disturbingly large cracks in the concrete and don't know what to do.

The living room is an addition, and where the old house ends and the add-on starts, there's a height difference. The addition is higher than the original house. I could actually feel this under the carpet, so I was expecting there would be a problem there, but that's just one of my problems...

Also there's a couple of big cracks that cross the entire room with smaller cracks branching off every few feet. There's no height difference between the two sides of the crack, but the crack is so wide that I can pick little pebbles of concrete out of it.

Am I allowed to link to photo's? Here's a link to crack photo's, I stuck a quarter in there for size reference:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1088988...eat=directlink

I went to a flooring store, they suggested I do floating laminate but with my big dogs, and a messy toddler, I really want something a little more durable. (and scrub-able)

House info: single level, concrete foundation, no basement, built in 1974 with addition in the late eighty's.

So, my questions are:
*What should I do about these cracks?
*What other surface prep should I do before installing resilient vinyl planks?

I have company coming in two weeks and I've got to do something.... Thanks so much for your help!

ashleezona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:46 AM   #2
Happy to help

Ripped out carpet, found big cracks... What now?

Those are some nasty cracks. I would consult with a foundation repair company first. If the issue is a foundation issue, you don't want to gloss over it and pretend it's not there. Those type of problems will only get worse if not addressed. From there, if you get the ok on the foundation, they should be able to get you some input on how to address. It may be as simple as self leveling concrete to fill and level our the height differences before laying your floor. Time and budget, always the two biggest battles!

Lighting Retro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concrete cracks, surface prep, vinyl plank